Author Topic: Are the "real" Colts that much better?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are the "real" Colts that much better?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
I am not convinced that a 2nd gen "real" percussion Colt has anything up on a Uberti regarding the internals. For sure they do on the exterior regarding case coloring and bluing. But their internals are a hit and miss affair. I won't ever buy another one unless I can handle it in person prior to purchase. And yes, a second gen percussion Colt can also have a short arbor.

I will argue though that a Uberti model P, 1873 SAA is a notch above quality when compared to a late issue third  (1980's) generation Colt hands down. Ya, that particular model of Colt still looks nicer on the outside than any Uberti, but those Colt factory workers dropped the ball big time as far as quality control on the tolerances and fit of the innards goes. Way worse than any second gen percussion revolver. I own only one 3rd gen third model SAA. I won't ever buy another. A first or second gen, well yes, I would grab one of them for sure. But the third gen SAA's simply are subject to the diminish of pride in American craftsmanship that plagued our manufacturing industry during that era. Kind of like what happened to a model 70 Winchester and a model 700 Remington at that time.

Funny thing though, I am actually going to post some fresh pics of my third gen SAA that I just took this afternoon. Ya, I am proud to own it and it looks super nice. The very fact that it is a "real" Colt has some merit. However, my Uberti model P of the same calibre is a superior piece as far as tolerances and internal functioning. When I choose to carry a SAA in 45 calibre in the woods, the Uberti is always picked over the Colt.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
Well,
 After working on all of them, the Uberti's of today are actually quite a bit nicer in the parts Dept.  Sam Colt would of had a fit to have the parts in an Uberti today!! All the the Colts (not including the first Gens) and sig series and copies of, have short arbors and crappy parts save for current Uberti's (parts) and Pietta's (arbors).
  The 2nd gens were made in the '70s/80s and the parts are just like  (cause they are) Uberti parts of that era. I cringe a little every time one comes here, not knowing what I'll find inside!
  Pietta at least fixed the arbor situation but they still have a long way to go with action parts, Uberti's on the other hand have the best parts .  .  .  . probably ever offered in a cap gun!

The Colts were excellent for the time of reintroduction, look what they could be compared to. They were the best as far as fit/finish but just the same inside as every other Uberti of the time. Naturally, time would/should allow for refinement and for the most part, that is what has happened. So, it's not quite fair to say Colts are better no matter what  .  .  .  .  there is just no basis to say so.  The collector looks at them through a collectors eye and  I totally understand that. That's their baby!!
 In reality though, todays offerings are just much better appointed and heck, almost 40/yrs latter, what would you really expect?
  Collectors should collect them .  .  .  . after all, they are historic! They're known and numbered. Thanks to folks like Fingers, there will be amazing collections to speak for what they are and we're.

That being said, no matter what make or model, they can all be made to run like an Outlaw Mule!!! And that is something that has always been (even with the 1st gens). Factory guns can't hold a candle to correctly  tuned/fitted  version .  .  .  always has been, always will be .   .   .   . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »
Y e s .

Got the Baby Dragoon.  The finish and markings anyway.  They re  so much better in appearance and so on.  Comparing the Model 48 Pocket to the Model 49 (48 2nd Gen, 49 3rd Gen)  The 48 is so much better finished than the 49. ,  which is much better than any replica.

The actions are hit and miss though.  Of all of mine, two of them are flawless in fit and action- 2nd Gen Second Dragoon and 3rd Gen WH Dragoon.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
Don't know if this is the right thread, but here we go:
I got this 1851 model Colt Navy antique unseen from an auction site. It obviously was a mixture of parts from back then and in rather bad condition, though the bore was pristine. After a lot of gunsmithing it amazed me as the best gun I ever shot. Straight. Tight groups. No cap issues. Mind you, I started out as a Remington 1858 addict (and still am) but I must admit that the Colt Navy is rather classy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
Don't know if this is the right thread, but here we go:
I got this 1851 model Colt Navy antique unseen from an auction site. It obviously was a mixture of parts from back then and in rather bad condition, though the bore was pristine. After a lot of gunsmithing it amazed me as the best gun I ever shot. Straight. Tight groups. No cap issues. Mind you, I started out as a Remington 1858 addict (and still am) but I must admit that the Colt Navy is rather classy.

We have all traveled a similar road, Len. And we all wind up...here! L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"