colt banner

Author Topic: Black MZ  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Black MZ
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
Anybody use this in their Cap and Ball revolver? I just got a pound to try in my front stuffers. Called Alliant Powder about using it in black powder revolvers, and they said   NO!   I didn't ask them why.  What say you?
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Black MZ
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »
Anybody use this in their Cap and Ball revolver? I just got a pound to try in my front stuffers. Called Alliant Powder about using it in black powder revolvers, and they said   NO!   I didn't ask them why.  What say you?

Hi Eric, Black MZ is my favorite propellent for all my cap and ball revolvers. It ignites easily, makes lots of smoke, has minimal fouling, minimal corrosion, and cleans up easily in warm soapy water. At first I didn't like it because of the large standard deviation (SD) doing chronograph velocity testing. I have since learned that the SD issue was caused by the large grains metering from a volumetric measure. You can see my powder testing here:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=6410.0

I now use Black Mz exclusively.

I wonder why Alliant gave you such bad advice?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
 Well,I am going to give a whirl   (*3. in my '1860 Thunderer" 3 inch Snub Nose Army and a full size 1860 Army 44cal. Mite drag the Grandson along and let him  try it in his new 1851 Navy "Cabelas Special" 36cal. Thanks for the info.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Hi Eric, the link I gave you before on another thread, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=709.msg5394#msg5394

will give you some idea on what to expect out of your 3" with Black Mz.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!