Author Topic: Cap tin Keepers  (Read 888 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Cap tin Keepers
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »
Last week I decided to sell some cap tins.  Here are the ones I decided to keep.

This one is unopened and the label is nearly perfect.  Hard to find one as old as this in near perfect shape.

Another unopened one with full nice label.  This one was made after 1912. 

I think this is the oldest one.  The top label is mostly intact but the tin is corroded some.  This is the only japaned (varnished) tin I have.  It is not stamped out like most tins but instead flaps cut in a circle are folded up to form the sides of the tin.

The label one this last one is hard to read and missing the edges but I like it because it is the only solid brass lid and bottom that I have found.

If anyone else has any interesting cap tins I'd like to see them.  I'm not sure why I find them interesting but I do.  Maybe others would like to see them too.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cap tin Keepers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
They are interesting Mike. One is lucky enough to come across an empty one with a label, let alone an unopened one. They were but mere pakaging back then, and if not tossed aside, would have been used for storage for small sundries and such. I have never come across one in my travels through these parts out West.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
I bought the unopened ones at a gun show one time.  Both from the same guy.   I would be embarrassed to reveal how little I paid for them.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »
Mike, those are some nice cap tins. I, too, have a few.