Author Topic: Don't be shy  (Read 705 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Don't be shy
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
Hi, isn't anyone else refining or shooting their BP replica Colts? The weather is now good for shooting and I would expect that other members here are out shooting. I would love to see your range reports and experiences.

This is your message board where by posting you get to share your BP revolver activities.

It gives me enormous pleasure seeing the experiences of other members, the newer the shooter, the more interesting.

Don't be shy, post.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Re: Don't be shy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
What is it to ya?
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »
Richard,

I made it to the range on Thursday, took along a Navy, Army, and Pocket Revolver.  I recently picked up an original mould for use with .31 cal Pocket Models and wanted to see how some conicals I cast from it would perform as compared to the standard round balls I had been using.  The Navy and Army are Piettas, the Pocket an Uberti. 

Hand held at 7 yards and using a 10 grain load of 3F Goex, lubed wad and #11 Remington caps I got much better accuracy with the conicals than round ball.  I don't really like shooting at such close range, but, it is a Pocket Model.  I'm pretty pleased with it, and of course, casting from an original mould adds to the experience, at least for me. Overall, kinda makes me want to get another Pocket version...

Whip

Meant to add that the original mould casts an 80 grain conical.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:56:38 PM by 99whip »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
I shoot a little bit now and then but I don't punch much paper. I kinda doubt anybody wants to see a bunch of Coke cans with holes in them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
Wish I had something for you Richard but I haven't even loaded so much as a BB gun since last fall.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »
Wish I had something for you Richard but I haven't even loaded so much as a BB gun since last fall.

Hi Mike, next Sunday when I go to church I will light a candle for you.  ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Thanks Richard,   I lit one for myself today but any help is appreciated.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
Our BP range doesn't open up until some time in May depending on flood conditions.
You can look forward to at least one good report...I have two unfired Dragoons to break in plus Goon's Army...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
I've been shooting my Uberti 44 Russian (in 45 Colt), but that don't count for much on a Colt sight.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »
Haven't been doing much shooting recently. Too much work on the new home. Did get my new PTR91 out for some rounds.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
It's a big mud hole where I shoot at...but, should clear up some if the rain would stop.  K_)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
Thanks Richard,   I lit one for myself today but any help is appreciated.

Hi Mike, IMO you are playing us. I know you bought a half fluted 1860 just a couple of months ago. Also, with all the holsters you make, you must be handling a number of revolvers to fit the holster every week. Handling counts for BP revolver pleasure.

You don't need the candle, I do.  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi Mike, IMO you are playing us. I know you bought a half fluted 1860 just a couple of months ago. Also, with all the holsters you make, you must be handling a number of revolvers to fit the holster every week. Handling counts for BP revolver pleasure.

You don't need the candle, I do.  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard

That's right Richard,  I did buy an 1860 a few weeks ago but haven't even cleaned it yet.   I do get to handle plenty of revolvers but I haven't been able to fire any of them.   I live in town,  the neighbors would not appreciate me shooting BP guns in my shop.   I have to drive nearly two hours to shoot at my son's house so a full day is needed for an outing.  No quick trips to the range for me.

In addition to the half fluted 1860 I also bought another one since then.  I sent it to Texas to have some work done.   More on that when I get it back.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »

In addition to the half fluted 1860 I also bought another one since then.  I sent it to Texas to have some work done.   More on that when I get it back.

Hmmm...now you've piqued my interest.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"