Author Topic: Remington No. 4 Rolling Block  (Read 1238 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remington No. 4 Rolling Block
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
Have had this little gem for quite a few years. Some guy turned it over to a gunsmith in North Idaho as partial payment for some work he was having done to a hunting rifle. My old buddy stopped in later to drop off an action and barrel for a single shot he was putting together and saw it setting in the shop, was told the details of how it got there, and learned that the smith was happy to pass it on for the same price that he had credited the other customer. Well, my old buddy knew just the guy that would take a shining to it,,,,,me!

He picked it up for next to nothing and the rest is history. From my bit of snooping, I have figured that is was made in either 1905 or 1906. I never got concerned enough to pin down the exact date.

It is the earlier version of the two take down modles that were made. It is in .32 rimfire short/long. The ammo has long since become obsolete. Navy Arms sold a production run made in Brazil in the 1980's. Both original rounds and the Navy Arms stuff can still be had, but it sure aint cheap. It can run from $2.00 to $2.40 per round. The best prices are gotten on the gun auction sights. When a box is found around here at a gun show, the price is sky high. As a result, the rifles in this calibre have minimal value for shooters. The ones in .22 rimfire have a folowing though.

The little rifle, however, has a lot of personal value to me, especially since I shoot it on occasion. It is one of those older guns that you don't really get to see in action all that often this day and age due to the chambering. It is a neat feeling to shoot it a couple of times each year.

It is a diminutive little rifle at a bit over 4 pounds.

This version and calibre combo came with 24 inch tapered octagon barrel.

In it's day, the No. 4 was a handy farm and small game rifle.

Here she sets in the take down mode.

A close up of the receiver and the take down lever. It is simply rotated forward and the barrel is then slid out of the receiver. Below the trigger guard rests 5 old .32 short rimfires that I am going to shoot this evening.

A close up of the little rolling block action in the open position.

The makers mark on the top barrel flat just ahead of the rear sight.

And a repeat of the same makers mark on the top tang.

One of the little shorts rests partially in the chamber and is ready to have the block closed. These original rounds sport an 80 grain bullet. In it's heyday, the .32 rimfire was known for an effective small game round out to 50 yards with minimal meat damage. I am going to take it out to the woods one day and shoot something to eat with it just to say I have done so.

She does not have the best accuracy due to the condition of the old bore and the use of old oxidized bullets, but it is good enough to make meat at 40 yards. I ate up a ten dollar bill just to shoot those 5 rounds, but it was money well spent for me.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:48:46 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Remington No. 4 Rolling Block
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, Scooby! (7&
Have you considered having it rechambered to something you could handload in centerfire BPCR? (Like maybe, .38-55)? It appears to be in beautiful condition and the RB's were a hell of a rifle.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:27:08 PM »
You are welcome Kirk.

Na, I have more than enough other rifles to mess with on a regular basis. With that, I decided to just keep this one as is.

Some folks did convert the breech face to center fire and started shooting the .32 Colt round. That would be a simple and straight forward option.

I have enough original rounds on hand to shoot half a dozen rounds, twice a year or so, for the rest of my shooting days, so I have remained content with it.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »
...Some folks did convert the breech face to center fire and started shooting the .32 Colt round. That would be a simple and straight forward option...

That is exactly what I would like to do.  First, I need to find a #4!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:16:20 AM »
That's a nice old rifle there Scooby.   Nice that you still shoot once in a while.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Scooby, why don't you get the firing pin altered to fire 32 cf, plenty of those rounds available

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
Hi Roland, if I did the alteration, I probably would not shoot it much more than I do now. I have been content with the .32 rimfires so far and have a fair stock of bullets on hand.

The little Remington falls into a niche along with a couple dozen other guns that I keep around here. I am attached to them, shoot them once in a while, and enjoy the idea of just knowing that they are here on the homestead. But in retrospect, I suppose they could be considered more like novelty guns.

Having a whole multitude of other "regular user guns" helps me to take on such an approach and attitude with the others like the Remington. They keep me busy enough all by themselves.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
Nice little rifle scooby! I have two boxes of unused Navy Arms produced .32 rimfire cartridges that I would send to you if it wasn't for the hazmat fee.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »
Bishop, having just done an ammo exchange with mazo, we discovered there is no hazmat on cartridges. UPS just wants the ammo packed properly,  one piece styrofoam shell holder holder and appropriate box, outer box, marked with 3 initials denoting what in the box (CRS......no, that's the set of initials, those are the ones keeping me from telling you the correct ones LOL) (l"

BTW....that's one sweet little shooter there Steve!!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 05:46:20 PM »
I HAD one in 32 rimfire, just sold it at auction in Jan. It was not in very good condition, bore was a sewer pipe. What are the boxes of ammo 32RF selling for now?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
Bishop, having just done an ammo exchange with mazo, we discovered there is no hazmat on cartridges. UPS just wants the ammo packed properly,  one piece styrofoam shell holder holder and appropriate box, outer box, marked with 3 initials denoting what in the box (CRS......no, that's the set of initials, those are the ones keeping me from telling you the correct ones LOL) (l"

Yes, I have been in contact with scooby and am going to look into it.
(PS, I suffer from CRS too!)

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
The label you are looking for reads ORM-D. You may be able to find it online. The regs are also online, just do a search.