colt banner

Poll

Which powder do you prefer in your Colt or Colt repro?

Original Black Powder (Holy Black) i.e. Swiss, Goex, KIK, etc
11 (68.8%)
Pyrodex P
2 (12.5%)
Triple Seven
2 (12.5%)
Pyrodex pellets
0 (0%)
Other
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Powder Poll  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Powder Poll
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
Which propellant do you prefer? If you would, please give as many details on your favorite load including powder type, charge in grains, ball or conical size, wad or lube details, and any other pertinent information that might be helpful to others shooting the same gun.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Me, I prefer Pyrodex for two main reasons:
1) I can ALWAYS get it at the local Bass Pro (off the shelf) and while it's usually pricey-er than Goex, I don't have to pay a ridiculous hazmat fee to get it shipped.
2) Unlike Holy Black, Pyrodex is not progressive fouling, so no need to clean between cylinder-fulls or swab out the barrel. It is more corrosive, however, and less tolerant to sloppy or delayed cleanup.
My shooting buddy Steve swears that Goex ignites faster and with a louder "crack" than Pyro. I couldn't say for sure.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:38 AM »
I prefer Holy Black....I order by the case of 25# and it is delivered to my door. Even if you only order 5#, it is still cheaper than Pyrodex, including hazmat fees. You can mix granulations; so for instance, I might order 10# ffg for my BPCRs, 15# fffg for my C&B revolvers and other M/L guns. Also, if you get a couple of buddies together, you can each order what you want and share the cost.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
I prefer the original gunpowder.  Some brands/granulations are better than others.  Have gotten ahold of a couple pounds of the new Olde Eynsford; but haven't had the opportunity to try it in my C&Bs or cartridges yet.  Right now using Scheutzen; but, also like Grafs Kik and Goex.  Have no experience with Skirmish or Diamondback.  A few years back, here were a couple Chinese powders, Lidu and Dragon.  They were both high quality, clean burning powders.  It's a shame they aren't made any more

I do have a preference for Pinnacle in my .38s using smokeless lubed bullets.  Very clean burning and the esidue cleans up real easy. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Online ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
Hi, I prefer Black MZ because of the very easy cleanup. Having said that, I have more BP and all the other substitutes than my state law allows and have tested each of them. If I need to do serious work, I will use a modern firearm.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
I started using 777 when I bought my first BP pistol.  It has always performed well and clean up is very easy, plus it is available nearly everywhere.  I use lubed wads and round balls.  So far I have had no reason to change.  I am planning to get some Holy Black and test it out but am in no hurry until I run low on 777.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
Howdy

These days I only shoot Black Powder in my Colts. Usually Schuetzen FFg. 45 Colt usually gets 2.2CC (about 35 grains) under a 250 grain Big Lube PRS bullet lubed with SPG. I also shoot them with Schofield brass, usually about 28 grains under a 200 grain Big Lube J/P 45-200 bullet lubed with SPG. My 44 Special Bisley usually sees 44 Russian ammo loaded with about 20 grains of FFg under a 200 grain Mav-Dutchman Big Lube bullet.

On the rare occasion that I shoot Smokeless out of my Colts it is usually 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain LRNFP bullet in the 45 Colt case.

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
I only shoot the Holy Black in my 60 Colts and my 58 Remmy. There are 3 local shops that sell it and it is less expensive than the subs. Since both of mine are 44s, I load 30 grain of BP under a .454 RB with a wad of bees wax and olive oil mix. When re-enacting, I load 30 grain of BP then fill with CoW ( for some reason they won't let us use ball). And that is how I shoot'm.   L@.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
I prefer Swiss but Pyrodex RS is my mainstay.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
I use Swiss in my rifle both muzzle loaders & cartridge. And Goex in my handguns.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:43:25 AM »
I use gunpowder in all of my Colts and most everything else I reload with only a couple of exceptions.  I have a 22 WCF that I am still trying to find a load for.  The small bore fouls quickly, I am hoping OE will help with that.  The other cartridge is the 405 WCF.  I have tried recipes for the 40-72 but the rifling twist in my barrel is not happy with it.  Perhaps OE will save me, (if not I have some recipes with the substitutes that work, particularly 5744 from Accurate).
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
I usually use real b.p. either the Goex or Shutzen i've purchased, or the stuff I make myself.  I have a press on the way, so it's pretty much all going to be stuff I make myself.  When I couldn't get any black powder, i have used pyrodex mainly, and i have before used trip 7 (still got some, lol!).
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"