Author Topic: Stevens Single Shot  (Read 2625 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens Single Shot
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:52:21 PM »
I told you men that I would feature my latest two shotguns. Here is one of them. This one is slotted to go turkey hunting in a couple of weeks. I shot it this afternoon with my bench loads and snapped some pics. It will do just fine on a tom out to 35 yards.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Stevens Single Shot
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
I had about five of those that were pieced together out of several different Stevens but there weren't enough of one particular model to build a single correct one. I presume they would have fired but two had obvious head space problems and while I will shoot stuff that would make a normal person cringe I wouldn't shoot any of these. I have my grandpa's old Nitro Hunter and a Brazillian(I think).410, a CBC or something like that. I think those are the only two single barrels I have now.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:11 PM »
Damn it,  you guys have me thinking hard on these old shot guns.  I never really paid much attention to them before.   Must be the way those big brass cases shine so nice in the sunlight.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
12ga?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »
Quote from: Mad Dog Stafford link=topic=x1642.msg15280#msg15280 date=1459262413
12ga?

Yep, 12 ga. Sammy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
I really like that, Scooby. Now you have me also thinking about one.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
I like it!  L@.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
Nice! Way back when nobody was making the brass shells, I was buying all the originals I could find. I probably paid too much for some, but I was happy to get them. I was surprised at the different lengths they were made in. I think the latest shells I got were from the Korean War era, where they were used for guard duty.

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:37:32 AM »
Those one shot Stevens were a hot item in the jungles of Guatemala back in the 50's through the 80's, but in 16ga.
I had a distant uncle (the black sheep of the family), that used to transport cooking oil, flour, soap, etc. from Guatemala to Belize, and would come back loaded with whiskey and 16ga Stevens single shot shotguns.
That was at a time in which relations between the British government and the Guatemalan government were at their lowest, so commercial traffic was restricted.
He used to do this at night on a huge dugout canoe with a 20 hp outboard between a small town in Guatemala called Livingstone and a small village in Belize called Punta Gorda.  He was never caught.
Ah!  and if you remember the show "Have gun Will Travel", he was the spitting image of Paladin.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
Those one shot Stevens were a hot item in the jungles of Guatemala back in the 50's through the 80's, but in 16ga.
I had a distant uncle (the black sheep of the family), that used to transport cooking oil, flour, soap, etc. from Guatemala to Belize, and would come back loaded with whiskey and 16ga Stevens single shot shotguns.
That was at a time in which relations between the British government and the Guatemalan government were at their lowest, so commercial traffic was restricted.
He used to do this at night on a huge dugout canoe with a 20 hp outboard between a small town in Guatemala called Livingstone and a small village in Belize called Punta Gorda.  He was never caught.
Ah!  and if you remember the show "Have gun Will Travel", he was the spitting image of Paladin.

Very cool story steamburn. Thanks for putting it up.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
Richard Boone was one badass character!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"