Author Topic: Where is that revolver??  (Read 2359 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Where is that revolver??
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:41:05 AM »
Hi, I keep all my handguns in muffs placed in my gun safe. The muff protects the handgun finish and provides a little extra residual oil for the gun. I heavily spray Ballistol on the muff interior fabric.

Finding a handgun of interest is a hunt and peek method. Even using different color muffs for different class handguns still makes finding the gun of interest quickly difficult. I was asking my wife if there were cloth labels that could be ironed on. She suggested using tags attached to the muff pull string, a great idea.

These are the tags now on order:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171822101895?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=470757470136&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The exact handgun can be written on the tag and the tag color can be used for different make or model handgun to speed up searching.

How do you store your handguns for quick selection?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Where is that revolver??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:16:39 AM »
Richard,

I don't have enough to have that problem...yet.  I have two in presentation cases I made and the other two sit on top of those, all in my closet on a shelf.  Yours looks like a great solution though and I do like the idea of having color codes represent similar models, blue for Navy models, red for Army models, etc.

Whip

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
Hi, I keep all my handguns in muffs placed in my gun safe. The muff protects the handgun finish and provides a little extra residual oil for the gun. I heavily spray Ballistol on the muff interior fabric.

Finding a handgun of interest is a hunt and peek method. Even using different color muffs for different class handguns still makes finding the gun of interest quickly difficult. I was asking my wife if there were cloth labels that could be ironed on. She suggested using tags attached to the muff pull string, a great idea.

These are the tags now on order:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171822101895?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=470757470136&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The exact handgun can be written on the tag and the tag color can be used for different make or model handgun to speed up searching.

How do you store your handguns for quick selection?

Regards,
Richard
Richard, mine are in old cotton socks, well oiled. My classification is Remington....top shelf, Colt, bottom shelf. They are stacked neatly atop one another on their respective shelves so it's still a crap shoot... )lI
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:47 PM »
Most of mine reside in holsters hanging on the wall. Others are on a shelf. Then again, there are a few tucked away in the bottom of a few drawers. And there are also a few in presentation cases setting atop a dresser chest. But I know where and what each one is.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:53:13 AM »
Most of mine reside in holsters hanging on the wall. Others are on a shelf. Then again, there are a few tucked away in the bottom of a few drawers. And there are also a few in presentation cases setting atop a dresser chest. But I know where and what each one is.

Hi scooby, kind of like I know mine and mine know me?  ;)

Do you have any problem with the moisture in the leather holsters ruining the revolvers finish? My closely held belief (don't remember where it came from) held that keeping a handgun in a leather holster is hard on a steel gun's finish.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:19:43 AM »
For the revolvers I need to grab in a hurry, it is usually in a holster on my hip.  All the rest are in a variety of locations and in whatever I can store them in.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 05:47:18 AM »
I keep all mine within easy reach in my leather shop.   Mostly hanging on the wall but usually a couple on the bench and one or two in holsters.    I like to keep them handy since I'm always test fitting or using them for forming holsters.  I have a gun rug for every gun I own.   I only put them in the gun rug when transporting them in a vehicle.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
My closely held belief (don't remember where it came from) held that keeping a handgun in a leather holster is hard on a steel gun's finish.

I've never had a problem with it. Maybe if they were stored in cheap chrome tanned leather the acids might leach out and ruin a finish.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:52:53 AM »
I have had no issues with the finish as a result of storing revolvers in holsters.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
Richard, do you have a handgun for each of those tags? Or will you have to get a couple more so as not to waste them? (7+"

Online Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
My closely held belief (don't remember where it came from) held that keeping a handgun in a leather holster is hard on a steel gun's finish.

I've never had a problem with it. Maybe if they were stored in cheap chrome tanned leather the acids might leach out and ruin a finish.
Mike , as your are an expert in leather, is what Hawg just posted a valid argumnet ?   
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Hi mazo,  (7+" (7+" (7+"

I bought the 100 pack so I should have enough for next year too.  )lI )lI )lI

I did buy paper/string tags for this purpose, but concerned that they may not hold up, the reason for the plastic with metal ring tag purchase.  I now have 100 of these not needed tags:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181922495418?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »

Mike , as your are an expert in leather, is what Hawg just posted a valid argumnet ?

Hawg is right,   it depends on the finish and the tanning process of the leather.    Scooby doesn't have any problems because he makes his holsters from veg-tan leather and uses an oil finish.    Natural oils and waxes won't hurt the finish on your gun. 
There is no way to tell what is on the inside of a holster unless you know who made it.    The biggest risk it moisture.  Unfinished leather absorbs moisture and can cause rust if you store your gun in it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
Hi Mike, so you are saying that I could safely store any of my steel revolvers in your lined holsters?

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »
Hi mazo,   I now have 100 of these not needed tags:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181922495418?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Regards, Richard
Yeah, well I would have just cut up some old file folders and used a paper punch to make the holes. But that is because I'm che........err, umm, frugal! L@J (7+"