colt banner

Author Topic: Blast From The Past  (Read 3078 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Blast From The Past
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:03:37 AM »
I messed around with this old Snider conversion of the 1853 French Musket for several years. It was the first recipient of my indoctrination to black powder brass hull shotgun reloading. I came across these pics in my archives tonight and felt like passing them on. I took a lot of grouse, quail, and a few turkeys with it. It rests idle on the wall now as I mess around with other old shotguns that I have since found. A neat old piece it is. Still functions very well after all these years. I shall drag her off the wall in the future and give it another trip into the woods on a hunt before I pass. Ran onto some out of state turkey hunters back in the day, and they were both amused and inspired by my choice of shotgun to pursue the wild turkey. Nothing normal about it by no means, but it fits my personality.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blast From The Past
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »
Taking game with an old piece is a lot more satisfying then using a new "wondergun".  On one forum, my signature is "I prefer using cartridges designed before I was born." At my age, that doesn't leave a lot of cartridges available! 

Love the old conversion.  Never handled one nor even a Snider but do use the American equivalent, the Allin conversion.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:58:38 AM »
I'm not at all familiar with shotguns new or old but I know what looks good.    That Snider conversion is an interesting looking old piece.   I'd like to see it in person.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:10 AM »
I'm not at all familiar with shotguns new or old but I know what looks good.    That Snider conversion is an interesting looking old piece.   I'd like to see it in person.

One day, you and I will meet up in person and share stories. Every since I first met you on this forum, I felt like we had both chewed the same kind of dirt. I got a lot of respect for you Mike.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 04:41:44 AM »
It's mutual.   Thanks Scooby.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
That would be a Tabatiere or more commonly known as a Zulu shotgun. One of the local pawn shops had one several years ago and I almost bought it but I felt like they were asking too much. Does it have a holy water plug in the stock?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
It does indeed have the the holy water plug.

Zulu is the most common name that I have seen in my readings

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
I had 2 of those Zulu shotguns at different times; sold both of them without shooting 'em.  L@J they had the holy water holes too. A couple of years ago I was gifted another one.....because it needed work, mostly with the extractor. I worked on it briefly before putting it away. As I recall, the chamber was bigger than 12 gauge.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
Great looking old fowler there mazo, is it a Damascus barrel?

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
Nope, not mine, belongs to Scooby. Mine weren't Damascus though.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
Great looking old fowler there mazo, is it a Damascus barrel?

The vast majority of them were made from 1853 percussion rifles so it would be best to assume they are damascus until proven otherwise.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:21:20 AM »
i have one that is actualay marked ZULU, on the top of thr barell. and i load and shoot plstic hulls with 70 grs of 1 fg and an ounce and and eight of any size shot. really fun gun to shoot. i bought mine for $25.00 in a junk shoppe and have hade it for 35+ yrs. they are a lot more expensive now some go for over $200.00 now. enjoy it.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »
BTW, forgot, mine does not have a holy water plug. does any one know why some do and some do not?