Author Topic: Stevens Little Scout 14 1/2  (Read 575 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens Little Scout 14 1/2
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
Just picked this up Friday at my local gun shop. It just got traded in a few days earlier by an old feller. A friend let me know it was there, and I went right down and aquired it. Now get this. The paper work was completed and I had just paid for it when a guy called the owner by phone. He had also heard from a friend that it was there and wanted it. I heard the owner tell him that I had just bought it. Had I been 15 minutes later on showing up to look it over, it would have already been gone.

Now this one was also a piece that needed some rehab. Lots of dirt, rust and gunk throughout. The wood was as dry as a rawhide dog chew. The bore was so dirty. No one had given it any attention in many many years. But it is sound and showed lots of promise.

I just finished up putting it back together this morning and took it out to see how it would do. It does just fine. After the initial firing to see where it printed, I shot a pretty decent five shot group on a gong kneeling fron 35 yards.

The diminutive little Stevens looks pretty decent now. I am proud to now own it. It will be a bit before I get the wood to take a sheen though, because it is really soaking up the stock oil. When fully finished in a month or so, I will take it back and show the owner of the gun shop how it turned out. He will be pleased.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:52:06 PM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Stevens Little Scout 14 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
I like the way you rescue these old guns and give them some life Scooby.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
Why thank you Mike. I really do have fun with it.

Say I finally did aquire a side lever, extractor, and cross screw for that very first modle 16 Crackshot. It is now fully restored. I still have a bit of work to do on the second one that I got and featured this past February, but I have located an extractor and have it fitted. In the meantime, I did pick up a another modle 16 on the cheap. Replaced the firing pin and worn extractor on it and rehabbed the finish. It turned out great and shoots well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:27:05 AM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
That would make a great group photo.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »
I will take a few pics of the whole lot and post it up.
It might just make for a good view at that.