Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 1473 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Gloves
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »
Hi, I keep a few of my BP revolvers on display, but always concerned handling them. Wiping down the gun with an oily rag after handling is a royal PITA. I ordered some white gloves that may solve my handling issue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG2LKHB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you do after handling your revolvers?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
I don't have any of my guns on display (yet) so am not too worried about handling them. I do wipe them down after the occasional handling. Those gloves, or maybe vinyl gloves, would seem to be a good thing. Do you know if those gloves are hand-specific, or can a glove be put on either hand? I would imagine they could also be washed if they become soiled. Nice find!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
You are perhaps practicing to be a museum curator? (7+"
Nice idea, actually! K keep a pair of cheap jersey gloves in my safe but rarely remember to use them. I'm such a gun slob.... ($!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »
Greetings My Dear Richard -

I opened this post hoping for something like this:

^j)

to answer your question, I handle my toys with "gay abandon" . I may wipe them with a dry rag immediatley, but only wipe them down with a slightly oily cloth perhaps once a week after handling or prior to "putting away".

yhs
prof ( I really watned to talk about gauntlets) marvel

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
Richard...  my guns should be so lucky as to be handled with gloves.   Several of mine at a time are wrapped in shrink wrap and are sitting in a wet holster.    I only have a couple that don't get used as holster molds.   Some finger prints left after handling are not a concern.   Glad to see you treat your revolvers with more respect than I am able to.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »

I opened this post hoping for something like this:

^j)

Prof Marvel,   I will talk gauntlets with you.   Mainly, are those authentic?  Where did you find them and did you have to pay a king's ransom to own them.   I have looked at many similar pairs and have found none I was willing to pay the price for.   The ones I could afford were obviously fakes made by a 3rd grader for their social studies class project.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:10:27 AM »
My Dear Richard -
those are , regretably, not mine, but a pair that I lust after and cannot afford.  they are  ~ $900 and are
authentic the the late 1800's. The beadwork is not identified but the floral motif appears to me to be
"Western Great Lakes" region, as opposed to Eastern or Plains.

great stuff found here:
http://www.forttumbleweed.net/nativebeadwork.html

I do have a pair of these from Dixie, that Mrs Marvel has offered to bead or embroider!

but we have not yet embelleshed them. I am rather inclined not to, since I actually plan to wear them shooting after
treating them with a good leather dressing.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:20:54 AM by prof marvel »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
Hi, I keep a few of my BP revolvers on display, but always concerned handling them. Wiping down the gun with an oily rag after handling is a royal PITA. I ordered some white gloves that may solve my handling issue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG2LKHB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you do after handling your revolvers?

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the new white gloves arrived today. They are very nice and will let me to frequently handle my firearms without concern for getting finger prints on the guns.

I should have done this many years ago.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
Whats a few fingerprints, dust, lint, cat hair etc. ? As long as its not rusty and goes bang when its supposed to is all that matters.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Hi Hawg, come on, you know as well as me that fingerprints contain salt that encourages corrosion. I have had rifles where the bluing on the rifles showed corrosion sometime after handling.

My wife got a kick out of me wearing the white gloves. It reminded her of the days long gone when girls wore white gloves on a date, like she did. I will now go formal wearing those gloves when opening my gun safe.

I bet you would look good in white gloves? (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »
I will now go formal wearing those gloves when opening my gun safe.

I bet you would look good in white gloves? (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard

You start wearin' a tux and I'm callin' the funny farm, Richard! (7+"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
My hands aren't oily. I wipe them down every now and then but fingerprints aren't generally a problem for me.
I know where you're coming from tho. I worked with a guy once that couldn't keep bluing on a backstrap. If he even touched a gun it would rust fast.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
Hi, the new cotton/polyester gloves are working out very well. they stretch nicely over my hands. I am spending a lot more time handling my revolvers without the need to wipe down the revolvers. I should have bought these gloves years ago.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »
I see your point, but it never stopped me....