Author Topic: Grilled Italian Bread  (Read 391 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Grilled Italian Bread
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
I do this one on occasion. Like tonight.

Ingredients

2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp bread yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup semolina flour
3 to 4-1/2 cups of bread flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp sea salt
Spray bottle of water

Directions

I use a Kitchenaid mixer for this, but you can do it by hand if you have the energy.

Put water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of the mixer and whisk it together. Leave it to proof for ten or fifteen minutes until the mixture is nice and foamy.

Add the egg, the semolina, and 1-1/2 cups of bread flour to the bowl. switch to the paddle attachment and mix. Slowly turn up the speed until you are most of the way up and beat the mix until it builds up enough gluten to pull away from the sides of the bowl in stringy sheets.

Switch out for the dough hook. Slowly knead the dough while adding the remainder of the bread flour. It might only take a total of 3 cups flour to bring the dough together, I had to use all 4-1/2 tonight. What you want is a solid, slightly sticky mass that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Form a ball with the dough, cover and rest until it has doubled in size.

Punch down, form into a loaf and let raise until it has doubled in size again.

In the meantime, heat your grill on one side to provide offset heat. Get it at least 400 degrees. Higher is better. put an empty pan over the fire to heat.

Just before putting the bread on the indirect side of the grill, use a very sharp knife or razor to slash a pattern in the top of the bread. Place the bread on the unheated side of the grill with a probe thermometer to monitor internal temp. Pour a cup or so of water into the pan and quickly cover the grill holding the steam in.

Every five minutes, open the lid and mist the bread with water, then recover the grill. Do this three times. After this remove the pan of water, if it still has water in it, and stop misting the bread. Continue to bake until the internal temp reaches 195.

Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Grilled Italian Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »
Ya know...from that photo I can actually taste that bread! :)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"