colt banner

Author Topic: I'm in shock...  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
I'm in shock...
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
Just drove out to meet a guy from a local Armslist ad; we exchanged greenbacks (won't say how much) for what turns out to be a ASM (Armi San Marco) First Model Dragoon from Dixie Gun Works, 1981 (AH) model. It looked nice in the pictures, but...
HOLY TOLEDO!!!!!
Except for a few tiny scratches here and there, this thing looks like it left the factory last WEEK, not thirty years ago! It almost appears (dare I say it?) UNFIRED!!! The wood is the nicest I've seen and wood-to-metal fit is impeccable! No turn ring. Absolutely gorgeous CCH colors, pristine bore, all screws appear un-turned. Too late for photos tonight but will get them up over the weekend. This thing is an eye-popper. All writing on the bottom of the barrel except "Dixie Gun Works" (left side, very unobtrusive), nice brass, this thing is the cat's pajamas!
Now for the bad news...I bought it to flip. But I don't know if I can. It's THAT nice. Like going back in a time warp to Big Hair days!!!!! I love Dragoons, and this one is knocking my socks off.... &\?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: I'm in shock...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »
Sounds real nice, congrats. I'm curious if it has any Colt markings on it and if it has the vertical or horizontal loading lever latch?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »
Sounds real nice, congrats. I'm curious if it has any Colt markings on it and if it has the vertical or horizontal loading lever latch?

Not that I noticed on the markings...but I will post pix with all the markings present for you to peruse. Not sure what you mean WRT loading lever catch? It's the same one as is on both my Second Dragoon models (end of the barrel with a horizontal slot cut into the fixed catch) I will post that too.
Without disassembly I can't confirm this one has never been shot, but it sure looks the part. Obviously the barrel has been off (hence the few scratches) but there's not a hint of unblued metal on ant of the innard screws so I doubt the trigger guard has ever been off. I am finding this one even more appealing than my Uberti 2nd. I like the wood far better than the glossy Uberti red wood, or that on the Colts. It appears to be (possibly) walnut; one of my favorites. Nice figuring, not a nick in it with nicely beveled butt side. Can't wait to get pix up for you gents.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »
Sounds like you have a keeper. LP is wondering if it has a 51 navy style catch like most ASM's or if it has the vertical dragoon catch like Uberti does.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
Pretty sure it's the same as my Uberti. I will get some photos up here soon...no pix, it never happened. Right? (@+

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »
Talk is cheap..... L@J

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
Talk is cheap..... L@J

Yea, quite right.  Show yer hand Cap, let’s see what you’re holding.

[Sounds like Captain is finishing up the year strong on the Dragoon end.  We’ll just wait and see.]
 8)
Schlong NIKE, bigly...

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
Quit jacking around and get some pics put up Capt. Been waiting all day long to see it. Making us wait won't make it any pudier.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »
OK, here's a few hastily-shot teasers...until I can get some better lighting:

The grips. Note the nice little burl down towards the bottom...

More grips...

Date code (AH), serial no. and proof marks...

Shots of the CCH. I had previously noted the screws had never been turned. In this photo you can see they in fact, have, and you can see a scratch near one of the screws...

The DGW logo, barely visible on the side...

Loading lever latch...

ASM logo under the loading lever...

...and finally, one in the usual hang-out spot!

My mind is made up, for the moment anyway. This one stays. My crappy photos do not do this Dragoon justice.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »
Looks like a good one Cap.!!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
All of the pics represent a mighty fine looking Dragoon. I would be prone to keep it too.

I think I can see a faint turn ring on the cylinder from the bolt, but I also note in your first post that there was not one. And thinking back some, I recall a few scratches on different frames next to screw heads when I removed new revolvers from the box. The scratches occurred during factory assembly.

Has it been dry fired?

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
I like it!  L@.

I never seen a loading latch like that one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »
All of the pics represent a mighty fine looking Dragoon. I would be prone to keep it too.

I think I can see a faint turn ring on the cylinder from the bolt, but I also note in your first post that there was not one. And thinking back some, I recall a few scratches on different frames next to screw heads when I removed new revolvers from the box. The scratches occurred during factory assembly.

Has it been dry fired?

Funny how things show up in photos that are not visible under normal lighting.
You are correct about the turn ring; I can see it in the photos but not "live". Hell; I may have put it there myself... ;)
Does not appear to have been dry fired but I have not had the cylinder off yet to closely examine the cones. The guy I bought it from took it in trade and never fired it himself. Hard to believe a gun could go 35 years without being fired but you never know. At any rate, I'm happy with it!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
Very nice. That would be the vertical latch, which I believe is correct for all 1st, all 2nd and some 3rd Model Dragoons.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:07 PM »
Very nice. That would be the vertical latch, which I believe is correct for all 1st, all 2nd and some 3rd Model Dragoons.
Which one on the Whitneyvilles?