colt banner

Author Topic: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
I don't know,butt I would like to get me one.   Anybody???
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Re: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Cool,thanks!!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »
I don't know, but I would like to get me one. Anybody???

Yes and no.

As far as I know, Pietta is the only manufacturer of one, but I must explain further and my answer may be a bit convoluted. Please bear with me, sir.

I have always been enamoured with squareback TG's. I bought a new Pietta 1851 Navy repro in 2014 (date code [CM]) with the round/oval TG. I found a source for a squareback TG at Taylor's a few months later, and after them ordering it from Pietta (and then the waiting process considering it was a bulk shipment of pistols and parts that had to clear Customs) I received it a couple of months later. It all worked well, back then.

If you are looking for a complete Pietta 1851 Navy squareback TG pistol, you may be out of luck (try GunBroker for used pistols).

Dixie Gun Works used to sell one listed as Dixie Navy Yank-London Model, which is a complete misnomer (product number RH0850) that has/had the squareback TG in their 2015 catalog. You might call them to see if they have one hiding away in the dregs of their stock rooms.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=14047

Well, I see that Hawg beat me to it.

I do not believe Pietta offers them anymore, and I say that with the following caveat.

2014 was the last year that Pietta manufactured 1851 Navy repros with the "tail" gripframe. From 2015 (date code [CN]) and later, Pietta changed the grip profile on the 1851 Navy type pistols and this particular squareback TG that I acquired will not work with the newer models.

A comparison:

At any rate, good luck!

Jim

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
I got into this about  a year ago,.. bought a square back from Dixie ,,then decided I needed two

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
It is my understanding that Uberti quit making them, but that is not written in stone. BA still shows them on their web sight, but they have not had one in stock for a few years now. I forgot to ask Cimarron about the square back last time I had them on the phone.

That is one version that I do not like to see go out of production. The 1851 with a square back is about as good looking as you can get proportion wise in the earlier models.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
It is my understanding that Uberti quit making them, but that is not written in stone. BA still shows them on their web sight, but they have not had one in stock for a few years now. I forgot to ask Cimarron about the square back last time I had them on the phone.

That is one version that I do not like to see go out of production. The 1851 with a square back is about as good looking as you can get proportion wise in the earlier models.
I totally agree, Scooby. My buddy has and old Lyman Navy with the silver plated SB trigger guard. It is a fine piece to behold.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »
I got the  one from Dixie Tuesday. Good looking gun.     THANKS!!!  Will post a pic.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
I got the  one from Dixie Tuesday. Good looking gun.     THANKS!!!  Will post a pic.

Could you let us know what the manufacture date code is (right side of the frame if you are not sure)?

Thanks in advance, sir!

Jim

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
Square box right?      CP

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
CP makes it a 2016 manufacture.....cool

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
Eric, which grip style does it have? The traditional Pietta "tail" grip or the new one without the tail? Either way I like the squareback, they are cool.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
Nope,no ducktail,but you better hurry up and get one        Dixie only has 39 left!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
Hi Eric, no, they don't have 39 left anymore. I ordered one. Thanks all for the heads-up.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
I truly believe that someone at Pietta (who has some clout, probably in marketing) monitors many of the BP C&B forums to assess what is wanted by the buying public.

To wit:

Many people on forums complained about the "tail" grip profile on the 1851 Navy .36 type pistols produced prior to 2015; in 2015 [CN] Pietta produced a new "more correct" grip profile which has continued in 2016 [CP] and 2017 [CS].

The recent interest in Pietta G&G pistols (as of a year or so were scarce as hens' teeth: Cabela's has said the model was discontinued) but it has become available again with a 2017 [CS] date code.

The Pietta 1851 Navy .36 Squareback TG (basically a Second Model) is now back in popularity among many of us, DGW seems to have a bunch of them, and it seems these guns have a date code 2016 [CN].

I still like the look and feel in the hand of the 2014 [CM] Pietta 1851 Navy "tail" pistols.

To reiterate, I think someone across the pond is paying attention, and I think it may be paying off for them. I have not seen as much interest in Uberti 1851 Navy pistols in the past few years. If Uberti would rethink their arbor length, that could be a real difference.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:01:24 PM by sourdough »