Author Topic: Sharps Paper Cartridges  (Read 930 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sharps Paper Cartridges
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »
I made these up this afternoon. First time I have made cartridges using a ring tail bullet. The paper is tied in place above the ring with lined thread. After determining the chamber length with a bullet seated in the throat, I figured out the length, diameter, and powder capacity needed for the paper tube. I made them just long enough so that the cut off/seal plate will shear the end of the paper off, exposing the powder. I will get them shot to see how they do very soon. It has been a fun venture thus far.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Sharps Paper Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
Looking good Scoob. I never went to that much trouble.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »
I went on ahead and shot these up just a bit ago. Ten caps, ten hammer falls, and all ten cartridges went of perfectly. They shot ok, but I have some tinkering to do yet. I was shooting from fifty yards kneeling.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
I'm making mine just about the same way except the bullet I use has a heel base and I glue the paper on.   I am using a mould from Old West bullet moulds.  I dip the entire bullet to get as much lube as possible since the Old West bullet only has one lube groove.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
Scoobs are ring tails. I dip lubed mine too but I never went to the trouble of tying them on.