Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 13006 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Hi, the replacement wedges from Taylor arrived today. Both wedges are slightly wider than the original wedge and seat well in the Pietta Paterson. As soon as I get the hardening compound I will try doing a surface hardening on the original wedge and report back what I learn. This is a video of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIXGl_3li8

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I put the original Pietta Paterson wedge that had been hammered wider and surface hardened back in the Paterson. The wedge clamps the barrel hard to the arbor with just a little of the wedge protruding from the right side of the barrel. Time will tell if surface hardening helps the Pietta Paterson wedge distortion issue.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
I can make the new sight fit the holster Richard.  Just send it to me and I'll take care of it.   (No charge of course)

Hi, Mike fixed my Paterson holster so that the Pietta Paterson with tall front sight now fits. I can't thank Mike enough for fixing my Paterson holster. Great customer service from Mike!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2017, 04:32:55 AM »
Hi, early this year Kirst told me that they were working on a .22 conversion cylinder for the Pietta Paterson. I recently emailed Kirst to check on the status of this project. Their reply:

"Thanks for your inquiry; the 22 Patterson Konverter has been placed on the back burner. We've been busy reorganizing my company, which has turned out to be a huge project.

The 22 Patterson is still a high priority; I hope I can get back on it after the new year.

Keep in touch.

Walt Kirst"

I then emailed Howell to ask if they have any intentions on producing a .22 conversion cylinder for the Pietta Paterson. Their reply:

"We will not be making a 22 conversion for the Pietta Paterson.  Thank you for the inquiry.

Maggie"

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
Hi, I love shooting my Pietta Paterson with taller dovetailed front sight. Considering that getting spare parts is becoming more and more difficult as time goes by, I ordered a new Paterson:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8656/category_id/321/product_name/RH0600+Dixie+Pietta+Texas+Paterson+Pistol

I used the money I saved for the Pietta Starr that isn't now being made.

One can't own enough Paterson's?  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
Hi, I love shooting my Pietta Paterson with taller dovetailed front sight. Considering that getting spare parts is becoming more and more difficult as time goes by, I ordered a new Paterson:

Well, I guess that's one way to do it...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2018, 04:04:21 AM »
Hi Kirk, John Coffee "Jack" Hays equipped his troopers with two Patersons. I'm going to equip this new Paterson like my first one, tall front sight, lightened hammer spring, and slicking up the parts. This will let me do two handed steel target blasting. Using the brace of Patersons should be a lot easier to hold than doing a Josey Wales with a brace of Walkers.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
Hi, while waiting for my new Paterson to arrive, I narrowed a Paterson spring to produce a lighter hammer and trigger pull. A dremel tool with sanding drum was used to narrow the spring. An original and narrowed Paterson spring:

The original is on the left.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Nice work...as usual! )l_
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »
Nice. I am glad you got you Paterson shooting good. I would like to have a Paterson because they go back all the way to the fur trade era. The last rendezvous was in 1840. I doubt any mountain man ever carried a Paterson at the rendezvous but in theory it could have happened.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2018, 03:32:08 AM »
Hi, the new Pietta Texas Paterson arrived yesterday:

The work begins. I now need to figure out where all those parts go.  ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2018, 05:52:28 AM »
Hi, some things of note about this new Paterson. The fit and finish is perfect, just like my older Paterson. It's interesting that the new Paterson has a serial number just ~100 larger than the older one. The older Paterson was purchased from EMF Company, the new from Dixie Gun Works.

Like the older Paterson, the action is stiff, but the timing is good. Also, like the older Paterson the barrel takes some effort to remove after the wedge is out. Adding a 0.008" shim under the recoil shield should fix this problem just like it did with my older Paterson. All the internal parts have been smoothed and reassembled in the frame. It takes some good dexterity to successfully reassemble the Pietta Paterson.

Unless only to be used for display, IMO a new BP revolver shooter should stay away from the Paterson until they gain enough experience tearing down the more common Colt revolvers.

I'm still looking forward to Fingers report on how well his Goon tuned Pietta Paterson turned out.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
Hi, she is all back together and running like a fine swiss watch:

Notice the brass shim at the bottom of the recoil shield. The barrel now goes on and off easily. All that left to do is correct the short arbor length and install a front sight.

Then it steel blasting time, baby.  &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
Just gorgeous....
-Mick

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »
Richard, on page one of this thread, you stated that persistence pays off. I tip my hat to you, because you are proving your statement to be true. In the end, you will end up with two Pietta Patersons that will be fully functional. The cost and efforts put forth to accomplish such an endeavor will be reaped by future shooters of said revolver, both by you immediate family and by anyone that takes the time to research your writings. Good on you mister! You are a grand asset to this forum. And remember this.......even though I do not always respond to all of your posts, I do read them and recognise their value. You have been one hell of a contributor to the percussion revolver enthusiast by passing on your experiences.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2018, 05:14:26 AM »
Hi scooby, thank you for your very kind comments, I am humbled. Many the time it seemed that both my posts and photos have just gone down a rat hole where there was no interest to never be seen again. All posts took a big hit when PhotoBucket screwed us. So many photos were lost. I now keep my posted photos on my backed up computer, just in case Flickr does something similar to PhotoBucket.

IMO this message board would be more active if every member posted their BP experiences, especially the newbies. That would give confidence to other newbies just coming up the learning curve. Most people like to share their experiences with people of similar interests. Why that isn't happening here is a mystery to me. We were once all newbies.

The new Paterson arbor has been lengthened by JB Welding a brass button to the arbor end:

The brass button was then filed down until the barrel/cylinder gap is 0.005":

The dovetail front sight will be done early next week.

BTW, I have a Paterson book that shows many original Patersons with a blade front sight, they are small, but still a blade. It seems all the repos have that 1851 version of a front sight?

Regards,
Richard