colt banner

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 14288 times)

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
Neat looking gun!
NRA Life Member

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
I'd love to add a Paterson to my collection, but cannot justify the money they get for one. Maybe I'll run across one someday. Of course, I've said the same thing about an 1860, and that hasn't shown up on my doorstep yet.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
Hi, a new dovetail front sight has been added to my new Paterson. The rear sight was also widened. The new Paterson will now be sighted in to have poi=poa @25yds. The brace of Pattersons:

The new Paterson is on the bottom of the photos.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
Nice pair Richard.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2018, 04:01:54 AM »
Hi, I ordered a used copy of Paterson Colt Pistol Variations, by Phillips Wilson on eBay, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112287663208?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Prices for this book are all over the place, but I think this is the book to have if you are interested in the Paterson revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, another Paterson revolver book for not too bad a price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paterson-Colt-Pistol-Variations-by-Philip-R-Pillips-R-L-Wilson-Hard-Cover/231628113866?hash=item35ee1c87ca%3Ag%3AscsAAOSwHnFVnusl&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=colt+paterson&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
Hi, the new Patterson was sighted in and shot today. The front sight was filed down to have poi = poa @25yds. This first shoot of a new revolver didn't go without a problem. Like the previous Pietta Paterson, the wedge would bottom in after the first shot. The soft barrel metal flows in the sharp corners of the wedge slot. The wedge was then hammered down to widen the wedge. That adjustment worked for the remainder of the shoot. IMO the cylinder/barrel gap of 0.005" is too small for the Paterson. Fouling on the barrel rear and cylinder face has the cylinder turn hard only after a few shots. If I ever get around to it, I will open up that gap to at least 0.008". I know the argument of a tight gap is suppose to minimizes fouling, but my experience with the Patersons shows just the opposite.

I shot at least 10 cylinders this morning. Yes, fouling on the arbor is an issue for the Paterson after a cylinder is shot. However, since one needs to remove the barrel to change or load cylinders, it's easy to remove the fouling from the arbor and hit it with a light spray of Ballistol.

Smoothing the action has done wonders for accuracy, a nice light crisp trigger pull. Two handed groups of 2" are easily achievable @25yds with a well tuned Paterson.

I must admit to having a dilemma on cleaning the Paterson. I usually strip my BP revolvers after shooting to clean them in hot soapy water. Since the recoil shield/arbor assembly is screwed to the frame, removing that part may affect realignment on assembly. One needs to take off the recoil shield/arbor assembly to get to the internal parts of the Paterson. I may just soapy water clean the barrel and cylinder, but only wipe the frame off with a wet rag.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
Glad to hear it's a shooter and not just a looker.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »
Hi Dave, what's nice about the Paterson is that the hammer face is flat and doesn't have a safety groove like the other PB Colts. That flat face minimizes cap jams. Some day I hope to find a Paterson with a loading lever.

What I find interesting is that those not into BP revolvers always comment on how beautiful the Paterson. Even my wife that has zero interest in BP shooting said that she would like to have a Paterson, just for display. I asked her if my Paterson displayed satisfies her, her answer "no, I want one".

In the past I have railed against the Paterson for a new BP shooter. However, if they are willing to do a little work, they will have a shooter Paterson that brings them considerable joy. Also, the accomplishment of taming the Paterson will do wonders for their ego.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2018, 05:55:56 AM »
Hi, just received a neat bronze Paterson medal purchased on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-RIFLE-ASSOCIATION-NRA-COLT-PATERSON-MEDAL-FREE-SHIPPING/192626824579?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This bronze medal will be added to the silver Paterson medals that are around my living room display Paterson revolver. The silver medals look similar to the bronze:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLT-PATERSON-1836-REVOLVER-PISTOL-GUN-NRA-999-SILVER-COIN-RARE-CASE-COOL-G/381896124403?hash=item58eac867f3:g:8tAAAOSwJ7RYXZXR

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Hi, early this year Kirst told me that they were working on a .22 conversion cylinder for the Pietta Paterson. I recently emailed Kirst to check on the status of this project. Their reply:

"Thanks for your inquiry; the 22 Patterson Konverter has been placed on the back burner. We've been busy reorganizing my company, which has turned out to be a huge project.

The 22 Patterson is still a high priority; I hope I can get back on it after the new year.

Keep in touch.

Walt Kirst"

I then emailed Howell to ask if they have any intentions on producing a .22 conversion cylinder for the Pietta Paterson. Their reply:

"We will not be making a 22 conversion for the Pietta Paterson.  Thank you for the inquiry.

Maggie"

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I called Walt Kirst today to discuss Kirst making a conversion cylinder, either .22 or .38 Colt. It seems that Kirst has little interest in producing a conversion cylinder for the Paterson. He would be willing to make me one of a kind for ~$1500, but I told him that was a bit too rich for my blood. Too bad.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »
Yeah, I would pass on that too. (jh
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
"Hi Dave, what's nice about the Paterson is that the hammer face is flat and doesn't have a safety groove like the other PB Colts."

The Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy repros I have also have a flat hammer face. Some of them still got cap jams because of rough machining or casting(not sure if they are machined or cast) on the edges.

As for the $1500 conversion cylinder for Paterson, I would pass on that too, there's a lot of other things I'd rather spend it on if I had $1500.