Author Topic: Why do you like BP revolvers?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Why do you like BP revolvers?
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Hi, why do you like BP revolvers? Some like the history, some like the ability to own an unrestricted handgun, some like the low cost to handgun shooting, some simply like making lots of smoke and enjoying shooting firearms of the past.

My interest is the history where shooting my BP revolvers puts me back 150 years, a time that was a lot simpler and honest than today.

Why do you like your BP revolvers?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Why do you like BP revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
The history and I like making smoke.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
Like Hawg, it is the history and smoke that draw me to black powder revolvers, though I do own one unhistorical piece, my Ruger Old Army, which I also enjoy shooting.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
I simply like to shoot good ol black powder. I started out only shooting muzzleloaders, but the addition of percussion and cartridge revolvers was a natural occurrence. I like messing around with the casting for and loading of the percussion revolver. I also enjoy the details related to cartridge reloading with black powder for the single action revolver. And of course, over the last 30 years, the historical influence has become a major factor.

After getting into percussion, conversion, and SAA revolvers, I took to them with just a bit more enthusiasm than the flintlocks I mess with.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
History is of course a big factor for most of us, myself included.   I think what I like most is the pace at which BP firearms force one to adopt.   Loading in between rounds of firing keeps the pace slow enough to enjoy the actual firing of the gun.  Whether it's single shot or revolver, pistol or rifle. I enjoy Handling and learning to use the tools and components required to shoot a variety of BP firearms   This applies to loading cartridges for BP too.   It's the process as much as the actual shooting for me.   Maybe that's why I'm not the most accomplished shooter.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
Good words Mike. The tools and components have also been a large factor in my attraction. In short, the success that I have achieved with these revolvers has been a "process" just as you say.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
Pretty much ditto to everything Mike said.  I also really like the pace and relaxation of shooting BP guns, there's a rhythm to it.  And aside from the actual shooting, it's possible to be totally absorbed by other facets or interests within the sport. 

No offense to those of you that also shoot and enjoy modern firearms, but that stuff just doesn't cut it for me personally.  Can't explain it, just never been into it. 

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
being i have pretty much converted all my c&b guns to .45colt, i do miss the smoke and that high pitched crack that comes with smokeless powder is no where near as cool as the deep thundering boom black makes... what i dont miss is the binding and certainly not the cleanup and need to clean it NOW associated with black and black subs...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 10:12:30 PM »
The historical aspect is big for me...somehow I've always been drawn to BP guns since I first saw them in books and TV/movies as a kid. Maybe it was growing up in the "Cowboy Culture" of the 60's, but I've always been drawn to these historical weapons. In shooting, I really enjoy the slow pace of loading both BP revolvers and rifles. I love all types of guns, but my BP guns are my favorites.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
As a boy I liked Bonanza and Louis L'Amour books, always wanted a gun but never had one. A couple years ago on a whim I decided to go online and see how much it would cost to buy an old Colt revolver. That's how I discovered they make reproductions, relatively cheaper than originals and they're new so they're not going to blow up in your hand. Not that you can't shoot originals too, that's just what my impression was at the time. 

I've always liked nature too and I like the history and time frame of black powder. I like thinking of a time when there were plenty of wide open spaces, horses instead of cars and few fences. I like the slow pace and engaging aspects of experimenting and tailoring each charge for best results. I like the low boom, the smoke and the fire of black powder. I like the looks of the weapons from single shot, flintlock rifles and pistols to Colt's revolvers, they are like pieces of art.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Well, I started liking Black Powder Guns when I was watching old cowboy shows.
Now don't get me wrong...I was grown up around guns. Just my Dad never did like BP guns. Had all kinds of cart. type of guns.
Now since I have a few of BP guns, I'm rubbing off on my Dad on BP guns.  )lI

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
It's all been covered in the previous comments. 8)

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
I was a devotee of the Civil War when I was a kid. The type and variety of handguns literally "blew me away". The cap and ball guns mostly because they were so common for such a short period of time....then "poof" gone like a fart in the wind and cartridges were all the "Rage"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »
....for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. I have always liked "old things"  (heck, I'm old too!). I enjoy the slower pace of shooting black powder guns, cap and ball, flintlock, and black powder cartridge guns...rifle and revolver. Not that I don't enjoy my modern guns, but the old ones give me more pleasure. I don't even mind the clean up process.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
As a boy I liked Bonanza and Louis L'Amour books...
You too, huh? )lI
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"