Author Topic: First Woods Run for 2017  (Read 1580 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
First Woods Run for 2017
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »
Went on an overnight run into some of my regular stomping grounds. We have had a massive melt off and warm up here with close to two feet of snow gone in a week and a half. All of the steep South and South West facing ridges down in my low elevation country are now mostly bare, except for down in the drainages where the sun is not hitting this time of year.

I was not sure if we could make it up the creek to an old camp site that I use on occasion, but we gave it a try. Sure enough, there was a lot of snow and rough going. After a valid attempt, I changed plans and we climed out of the drainage headed for some better ground. Besides, the creek was so loud from run off, you could hardly hear yourself think. We made a steep climb out of the drainage and settled on a hog back ridge that was void of snow except for a small patch here and there. We utilized the  patches of snow for our water source.

Both the jaunt in, and the jaunt out the next day were met with fine and warm sunny weather. During the night, it got pretty cold though, making for interupted sleep as I crawled out of my wool blanket to build up the fire and warm my feet and back every couple of hours. But it was a grand trip as always and a great cure for the dose of cabin fever that has set in the last few months.

I cut some mountain lion tracks along the creek drainage as we headed up towards our old camp. I was hoping that it had made a deer kill close by so we could snoop around the site some and look over the sign left behind in the snow from the struggle that would have taken place. It is very cool to look over the ground and snow after one of these big cats take down a big game animal. However, this cat was traveling and before long, the tracks cut out of the drainage and up a ridge.

The funnest part of the hike in was climbing out of the drainage. We new we would have bare ground 1000 feet in elevation above us and we would soon be walking on soft soil with good footing before too long. We chuckled back and forth as we inched our way up through the rock bluffs, slipping and falling down every once in a while in our slick soled moccasins. But we ascended the lower bluffs without event.

Mike stumbled onto a fresh whitetail antler, which provided some additional entertainment. We did a lot of zig zagging afterwards trying to locate the other side, but never came up with it.

This pic shows a good view of my new wrap shirt. Made of course,heavy linen, and dyed dark brown with walnut dye. My Montana buddy made it up for me. It is completely hand sewn. I feel mighty proud to own it.

This spot will do nicely for a camp.

Wood and bedding nest gathering is done and Mike sets to getting a fire going.

This Muledeer doe wandered in below camp for some pleasant viewing.

Not long after the doe had drifted off, we heard a gobble, and then soon spotted a bachelor flock of mature toms coming over the opposite ridge. Beats setting on the couch in front of a TV any day.

This is a first for me. I have only ever carried a small tin pot on my woods runs and never cared to carry a skillet. Anyway, another Montana buddy made me this very small and light skillet recently, so I rolled it up in my blanket and cooked bacon in a pan for the first time. Prior to this, I allways cooked it on a rock. It was pretty nice because when I was done, I sliced up an apple and fried it in the bacon grease.

At times when there is a full moon, one does not mind so much waking up cold in the middle of the night to stoke the fire. The scenery is pretty sweet after you get the fire roaring.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:34:04 PM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: First Woods Run for 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Looks like great fun Scooby.   Except for the cold sleeping conditions.    I see you were both carrying your rifles.  Did you do any shooting at all?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:49:51 PM by mike116 »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
Thanks Mike. I guess I have kinda gotten used to the sleeping conditions over the years. Expecting what is to come in the wee hours of night seems to over come the discomfort anymore.

Yep, we did some shooting. Random rocks, pine cones, limbs, and snow patches. It is kind of a good way to keep the shooting eye tuned with these flinters being out in the woods just picking various targets and trying to hit them off hand.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
Great pic's and I'm  Jealous. Are the tree trunks marked in blue to be cut down this year?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Say Roland, it is just a case of a cheap camera. The color actually is black and is char from the big fire we had two summers ago. This entire drainage got burned out. My stomping ground made it through the fire but the upper end had 100 percent timber kill.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
That's a bitch about the fire Steve, glad to see the animals stuck around though.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
Awesomous. Like that shirt too. :-*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
It's been said by others before but it bears repeating: "When I grow up, I wanna be Scooby."
Awesome photos and descriptions, I always feel like I'm walking right behind you. I think you were born a couple hundred years too late, Steve.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 02:06:16 AM »
What Capnkirk dsaid....... livin the life bro.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 04:40:25 AM »
Hi scooby, thanks for the photos, it give me hope that spring will eventually come. While I loved camping in my youth, I learned that the better part of live was a nice indoor bed, at least for me.

I was a Scoutmaster for a number of years where the Troop would have warm weather meetings on my property. Scouting is an outdoor program where there is something inconsistent about having meetings in a church basement. Usually on the first meeting outdoors for the year, the boys would go nuts climbing trees, chopping firewood and having their first campfire, and running crazy down the nature trails. Your photos give me that great feeling again, thank you.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Since I am no longer able to do those strenuous woods walks, I really appreciate you taking me along on yours!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »
Great photos and story! Looks like you had a ton of fun.  8)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great comments. It is an enjoyable hobby.

Will be heading out again the second week in March. Three Montana boys will come over this way and join Mike and I. We will likely go up to the area where we erected the half faced log shelter.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great comments. It is an enjoyable hobby.

Will be heading out again the second week in March. Three Montana boys will come over this way and join Mike and I. We will likely go up to the area where we erected the half faced log shelter.

Looking forward to it, Steve.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"