Author Topic: Shot a Paterson Today  (Read 2471 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shot a Paterson Today
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:09:56 PM »
Been a lot of focus the past few weeks on the forum about the Paterson. Well, here is some more. I shot one of mine this afternoon and snapped some pics. I have had this one since 1995. I have put a lot of rounds through it over the years. And now that I have been doing some leather smithing the last few years, it has it's own rig.

This piece is a Uberti in charcoal blue. It is well put together. It functions smoothly and shoots accurately. Hits a bit high, but nothing that a six o'clock hold won't cure. I shot no paper to show you a group, I just rang gongs.

You guys know that I am partial to the 1860, but given all the Colt modles that I own and shoot, I have always had high regard for the Paterson, and most likely consider it my second favorite of the Colt modles. History and unique quirks are the driving factor.

I know and understand them very well. I have no trouble making them function and shoot effectively. I often feel that they get a bad evaluation because shooters try and compare them with common Colt's. But they are not common. They are a horse of a different breed. If more evaluators of the Paterson would use them with the proper historical mindset, they might gain a new appreciation for them. And yes, even though they do not have a trigger guard, you can easily cock the hammer with one hand. I realize they are not for every one, but I have found the same thing to be true with flintlocks. 

I use a small reproduction Hawksley flask to charge the chambers for this piece.

I have read on forums and watched a video where the shooters of the Paterson said the loading tool was near useless. I cannot wrap my thinking around that claim. It is as easy as tying your boots.

It is as simple as dropping a ball on a charged cylinder, setting the working end of the tool into the arbor slot, alinging the ball under the rammer, and seating it home. It does not get any simpler.

And there the Paterson sets broke down into the three main parts with a proper coating of black powder fouling, just as it should be done.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:11:37 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Shot a Paterson Today
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »
All I got to say is you fellers are lucky I don't have the disposable cash lying around or you would have me in deep water. If one of those could be had for a couple hundred bucks instead of the 5-700 they are going for, I'd be shooting one.
Like you, Scooby, I like the quirky and one-off's and the Paterson fits the bill in my book!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
 :-*  Very well said Scooby. I think the Paterson is one of the most handsome of the Colts.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
Hi scooby thanks for posting your photos. I always enjoy looking at Patersons.

What is the powder charge you use, and do you use overball lube or felt wads?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
Yours is the twin for my Paterson Scooby.   I like the looks of the charcoal blue finish on mine but does wear more easily.    I only use the the loading tool to load mine.   I have no trouble with it at all.      I have to find one of those little bag flasks one of these days.   I've looked for an original but they are too expensive for me.   

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
Thanks Richard. I appreciate the kind words.

Before I answer your question, I feel it worthy to let you know that I have no standard method of powder or lube when I shoot my revolvers. It depends on my whim for the day. Sometimes I use a lubed felt wad over the powder. Sometimes I lube over the ball. Quite often I shoot nothing but ball and powder with no lube at all. I also at times fill the chambers with enough powder to have the ball setting out near the end of the chamber, and other times shoot a lesser charge of powder where the ball is seated deeper with excess cylinder space not utilized. That is one of the blessings with black powder in these small capacity revolvers. It just does not matter when it comes to off hand accuracy.

Today with the Paterson, I used 5/16 Drams of 3 F Old Eynsford with a lubed felt wad under the ball. I do not know what that equates to in our current standard measurement of grain by volume. The powder and wad column did not fully fill the depth of the chamber, but as one has already surmised by my above mentioned words, I vary at times with my loads.

Also know that I sometimes use a Paterson copy reproduction single spout flask and I have it adjusted to throw approximately 20 grains by volume. In short, what we shoot in a Navy Modle Colt is fully appropriate for a Paterson. The cylinder lengths are very comparable with the Paterson chamber being only slightly shorter.

Looking forward to the first report on your ventures with your new Paterson. Since you got your's, I have had an itch for the nine inch version. Just not sure yet whether I want to gamble on the quality control with Pietta. As mentioned in a post a while back, I am growing tired of working on kit guns. Gotta hand it to the Goon. That man is a saint to work on these Italian guns like he does. I wish I had his tenacity and knowledge. I probably could work for myself full time. But then again, if I did, it would cut into my freelance life style that I now live.  ;)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »
Good to hear of another Paterson shooter that has no trouble with the loading tool Mike. But then again, I expected nothing less from a man of your quality. We sort of came from the same mould.

The flask I have is a reproduction. You can still find them, but quality is iffy. I had to tune this one.

Agree on the charcoal blue finish. It does wear fast, but does wear to a pleasant patina. I have a several Ubertis with that finish. If you look close at the last pic, you can see where the blue is worn down to bare metal on the inside of the grip frame. All of the the sharp edges on this revolver are worn to bare metal. And if you were to see this revolver in person, you would notice how the rest of the revolver lacks the rich blue luster. It looks a lot better in the pics that I posted than it does to the naked eye.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:14:46 AM by scooby »

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
I gotta give it to ya Steve...ya got good taste !!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:35 PM »
Get to thinking though Roland, that I have better taste in the men that I call my friends. More so than my good luck. All of my good fortunes, when it comes to having what I do, has come from knowing good men such as yourself. I have been taught so much, given so much, and blessed so much, by the older men that I have become friends with over the years. They have served as the most benificial mentors.

I saw a shirt one time at a bike rally that said "Old Guys Rule."

Every day, I pass onto the kids that I work with my good fortunes. I do so because "Old men" grabbed me by the collar and lined me out proper!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:08 AM »
Hey Scoob!! Thanks for the kind words buddy!! A feller has to do what he likes and I certainly enjoy working on and learning about these "tools of the past".  I have " almost " bought a Paterson many times in the past but just never "pulled the trigger". Don't know why but have always been drawn to the looks/mystique of the piece. As always, your pics are great and that's a fine looking example  of a Paterson you have  there!!
 I'm  gonna get some schooling on one soon as I have one on its way to me as I type! I'll check in when it gets here.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 04:13:18 AM »
Hi scooby, thanks for the reply. You said that you used 5/16 drams. But that's only 8.5 grains. Maybe you meant 5/8 drams that is 17.1 grains?

Have you ever had a chainfire using no lube?

Leathersmith Mike is going to make a holster for my Paterson. He asked me if I was going to add a taller sight on the Paterson. I told him that since the Paterson is such a heavy revolver with a small caliber and charge that any sight adjustment could be made by modifying the hammer sight only. How high were you hitting with your recent shooting and at what distance? I suspect that the poi of a Pietta Paterson will be similar to the Uberti?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
I got off by one key when typing Richard. It was supposed to be 6/16 drams.

That still only converts to 10.25 grains, so I checked the little Hawksley flask for accuracy. It is not even close to being marked correctly at all. The marked 6/16 dram charge accually throws 16.5 grains.

So in the end, I was shooting close to 5/8 drams of powder and not 6/16 (3/8) as the flask says. The mis marked flask is no suprise to me though. They are made in India and not of the best quality.

Nope, I have never had a chain fire when I don't use lube.

This Paterson hits 5 inches high at 25 yards.

Good on you for choosing to have a Mike make a holster for yours.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:12:59 AM by scooby »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »
Hi scooby, thanks for your reply. My local weather is supposed to get to 50F this week. Therefore I loaded up the Patterson cylinder using the BP sub Black Mz. The flask I used has a 20gr nozzle, but throws 18.7gr. After loading the powder, I added a 0.030" oil seal fiber wad followed by a lubed felt wad and 0.380 lead ball compressed with The Tower of Power loading tool. The front edge of the ball is ~3/32" below the cylinder front surface. I always use the fiber wad ahead of the lubed wad when I won't be shooting anytime soon. What was nice is that the Tower of Power set up for the 1851 is perfect for loading the Paterson. Also smoothed the forcing cone area with 320 grit silicon carbide paper per Goon's suggestion. Looks good. I can't wait to shoot this revolver.

The sight correction calculator:
http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Sight_Correction_Calculator/detail.htm?lid=13093

suggests that your rear sight would need to be reduced by 0.056" to have the elevation poi=poa. My barrel is 2" longer than yours, but I still think that just reducing the rear sight some (0.067") would work without needing to modify the front sight of my Paterson. Of course I will test my poi before doing any machining.

BTW, I started to watch an old spaghetti western "Shoot the Sun Down". It's an awful movie, but a very young Christopher Walken uses a Paterson revolver. One of the people in movie that is staged in 1836 made the comment to Walken "so you got one of those new-fangled repeaters".

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:19:06 AM by ssb73q »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I bet you are gnawing at the bit to get out and shoot your new Paterson!

I have had good luck on most of my Colts by lowering the hammer tip and deepening the notch. I suppose I should get around to doing so on this Paterson to get it shooting lower but don't feel like doing it now.

Say, I just got done loading up the Paterson to go shooting some more. This time I charged with 18 grains of 3F and used a thicker wad than yesterday. I think they are Ox Yoke. They were given to me but are no longer in the original pakage. Anyway, that load column puts the balls right out to the end of the chambers.

I will have to check that movie out. And if you want to watch another one with a Paterson, check out "Barbarosa" with Wilie Nelson and Gary Busey. Busey is using a Paterson.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 06:37:36 AM »

I will have to check that movie out. And if you want to watch another one with a Paterson, check out "Barbarosa" with Wilie Nelson and Gary Busey. Busey is using a Paterson.

Hi scooby, I got Barbarosa, but haven't seen it yet. I have been a fan of Lonesome Dove and didn't realize that there were a series of five movies, not just two, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonesome_Dove_series

I ordered the other three of those movies and started watching Dead Man's Walk last night. The movie is set in 1843 south Texas. There were flintlock and percussion muzzleloaders, both rifle and pistol. What delighted me was to see some Patersons being used, wow, period correct! Then they pulled the rug out showing some using Walkers. A bummer for period correct. Compared to the single shot firearms, the Paterson was high tech in the day.

Regards,
Richard