Author Topic: Need some help identifying a couple of BPs  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
Re: Need some help identifying a couple of BPs
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
Thanks anyway. :)

I'm trying to get a handle on the 1849 size. So it would be the roughly same as the 62 police like Hawg mentioned? Slimmer than the full size frames?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »

I'm trying to get a handle on the 1849 size. So it would be the roughly same as the 62 police like Hawg mentioned? Slimmer than the full size frames?

Yes.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Oh really? I wasn't sure what it was to be honest. It was part of my dad's estate. I assumed a '49 from looking at others on google. It does say Cal 36 on the barrel - I noticed most of the pockets were .31s. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks!
Daf

The 1849 is a .31 caliber with a straight walled cylinder. The pocket police/navy are the same size frame as the 49 but have a rebated .36 caliber cylinder. Pietta however uses the 1851 frame and smooth .36 cylinder for their so called pocket navy/police. So the Pietta pocket navy is really a short barreled full size navy which never existed back in the day which is also what you have in the pic. I hope that makes it a little clearer than a mud fence.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »

Hi Daf, see the difference between the 1862 and 1849s:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=901.0

All use the same 1849 frame, the 1862 is the revolver on top in the photo.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
Ah yeah, I believe I'm starting to get it.

Hawg Said: Pietta however uses the 1851 frame and smooth .36 cylinder for their so called pocket navy/police. So the Pietta pocket navy is really a short barreled full size navy which never existed back in the day which is also what you have in the pic.

Well this is what was throwing me. WTH Pietta? Let's keep it historically accurate for Pete's sake!  ???

Thanks everyone!
Daf

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »
Well this is what was throwing me. WTH Pietta? Let's keep it historically accurate for Pete's sake!  ???

Thanks everyone!
Daf

Good luck on that. Some of Pietta's best sellers are fantasy pieces. Uberti made a few fantasy pieces early on but only one or two now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »

Good luck on that. Some of Pietta's best sellers are fantasy pieces. Uberti made a few fantasy pieces early on but only one or two now.

Hi Hawg, there is a pretty good reason the fantasy pieces are best sellers because they are great shooters. A Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber and a Pietta 1862 in .36 caliber that is actually an 1861 are both great shooters. Well balanced and fast handling would make them ideal for cowboy action activities. Duelist1954 (Mike) likes his pair of Pietta .44 1851s as his best shooting revolvers. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV38iQwySCs&t=1s

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
Here are my two for comparison.  1862 Police on top, 1849 Pocket on the bottom.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »

Hi Hawg, there is a pretty good reason the fantasy pieces are best sellers because they are great shooters. A Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber and a Pietta 1862 in .36 caliber that is actually an 1861 are both great shooters. Well balanced and fast handling would make them ideal for cowboy action activities. Duelist1954 (Mike) likes his pair of Pietta .44 1851s as his best shooting revolvers. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV38iQwySCs&t=1s

Regards,
Richard

I don't give a dead rats ass how they shoot.

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
Here are my two for comparison.  1862 Police on top, 1849 Pocket on the bottom.

Thank you!  :)

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
Mods have existed since Colt started making guns. This is probably a period modification (pre 1865 maybe pre1860) of a 1851 cut to 5" and perhaps my favorite set I have pictures of

http://percussionrevolvers.com/index.php?topic=5.0
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com