Author Topic: A New Blade  (Read 453 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A New Blade
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
Two weeks ago, a close friend stopped by to say hi. He was on his way to a Rendezvouse in Oregon. He says he has a gift for me and hands me this blade. I was speechless. He has had it for two years and I grabbed it up and admired it everytime I was at his place for a visit. He had bought it off the internet from one of historical muzzleloader sights.

Now mind you, I have a lot of hand forged blades, but only one from a well known maker until now. The one I have prior to this one was made by Kyle Willard.

My buddy won't go into the woods like I still do ever again, and he wanted this knife to see some honest use. It will get just that in a week or so as I head off into the Lochsa Mountains on a woods run. I will make it a point to carry it quite regular when I am in the woods 18TH century fashion until I get too old and pass it on to a like minded younger feller.

This one is as cool as they get. Damn good steel and craftmanship. Aweful proud to own my first "House" made knife. I know quite a lot about these "Woodbury School" Kentucky boys.

I made up a simple sheath for it right after he gave it to me and honed the edge up razor sharp. I will put the piece to work soon.

Feeling mighty proud to have this piece in my hands. When I head into the woods soon, I will pack my Beck rifle that was made by the very hands of the buddy that gave me the knife.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:40:14 PM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: A New Blade
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »
Very nice,  I like the slightly curved narrow blade.  Most everything I see recently has a wide, thick Bowie quality to it.    I've been looking at a lot of knives recently.   I need one for a rig I'm making,  one similar to this would do nicely.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:03 AM »
Now that's a knife. 8)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »
Count your blessings! That is one beautiful blade!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
Vary nice slicer!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
Steve....so you have a House knife?! Very nice. My only "known maker" knife is by J.P. Miller, a damascus blade with spalted Hackberry scales. Another great knife was made by Ric Carter of Montana, but he is better known as a rifle builder. The other knives I have are of very nice workmanship but the makers are not known, except locally.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
I know Ric. Shared a few sips of spirits with him at Rendezvous over in Montana.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
What a nice blade! Looks very late 18th to early 19th Century style.