colt banner

Author Topic: Colt Burgess  (Read 996 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Colt Burgess
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
Shot this fine piece today. Like my other Uberti lever rifles, this one shoots very good with black powder. This is a light and slick handling rifle that comes to the shoulder well, and is easy to hold on your mark when standing upright on your hind legs. I shot at 65, 40, and 30 yards today. I broke one of my spinner gongs too!

I am using Starline cases stuffed full of Swiss 1.5 powder, a 258 grain home cast soft bullet from Lyman #454190, and home made lube. I size these bullets to .451. it all works perfect for this rifle.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Colt Burgess
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
That is one fine hunk of iron!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
Dang Scoob, you get all the cool stuff.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »
That is beautiful Scooby, great pics too.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
 (7&  Fine pics and rifle Scooby. I gather from your load info its in 45 colt, Any blowback?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
Thanks men. Yep Hawken50, 45 Colt it is. I do get some blow back with her but I reduced it somewhat  by not resizng the cases every time I reload.

I still sometimes wish I would have went with the original 44 WCF calibre, but I already have a bunch of 44's and thought of trying something different.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »
I get the same in my 66 in 45. I do like you though no resizing and a heavy 250 grn bullet. Rounds still fit my pistols too.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
That is a really nice looking rifle, Scooby! The case colors are very nice too. It has been awhile since your original post. Are you still shooting this rifle and how has it held up?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Yes sir, LonesomePigeon, I am still shooting it once in a while. It is holding up perfectly thus far. However, since I have so many lever rifles, I am always rotating them. So with that being said, it really has not seen enough use for a thorough assessment. It really is a sweet little rifle. Very light it is.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
Cool!!! Hows that Sharps working out for you?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
It is doing fine Hawg. I now have a different bullet besides the moose mould that I got from you that I can also shoot out of it. It does better for accuracy with a lighter powder charge. I also found a nice ladder sight that I had tucked away and put it on. I have not installed the tang sight as of yet. I did acquire a good supply of quality musket caps when I had the chance. I even picked up a couple tins of those cheaper reenactors caps and so far, I have not had a single misfire with them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:22:19 PM by scooby »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 11:58:05 PM »
It is doing fine Hawg. I now have a different bullet besides the moose mould that I got from you that I can also shoot out of it. It does better for accuracy with a lighter powder charge. I also found a nice ladder sight that I had tucked away and put it on. I have not installed the tang sight as of yet. I did acquire a good supply of quality musket caps when I had the chance. I even picked up a couple tons of those cheaper reenactors caps and so far, I have not had a single misfire with them.

Cool Beans!!! I have heard nothing good about the reenactor caps til now but if they work in the Sharps they should work for anything else.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
Congrats scooby, my wet dream