Author Topic: Tripod  (Read 440 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Tripod
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »
Hi, this morning I saw a video of an 1851 being accuracy shot using a tripod. My accuracy testing is simply using a two hand hold, but age is catching up with me where I could use some assistance in holding steady. I ordered this tripod:

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-HD-3-Heavy-Shooting-Tripod/dp/B009URBUM6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1496232870&sr=1-1&keywords=BOG-POD+HD-3

Using the tripod instead of the two hand hold should minimize the ammo used when sighting in.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »
We will need a range report. Just sayin'.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
Hi mazo, the new tripod worked very well this morning sighting in an 1860 revolver. The tripod held the revolver as steady as a rock where I only needed one shot to then do more filing on the front sight. No grouping shots were required. After every shot I could with confidence file the sight down some more until poi=poa @ 25yds. After 15 shots the revolver was perfectly sighted in.

In some respects for target shooting the tripod takes the fun out of shooting in that every shot hits exactly where aimed.

IMO for sighting in work this tripod is excellent and highly recommended.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Hmm...I may have to look into getting one of those.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
I do have a couple of camera tripods; all it would take is making a yoke to screw to the top. Geez....another project!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
Sounds like I need to do the same.  I have seen a few guys using them in various videos and it looks like they provide really good support.