Author Topic: Gotta have a ahem, - two -2nd Gen Walker(s) -- Done and done! ---  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Can t  stand it anymore!  I gotta have it.  If anyone has any advice/leads,  I m  listening.  I want to have a new as can be 2nd Gen (BlackBoxer) Walker with box and docs.  A finders fee is in the offing (Specie, currency, trade goods etc).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:20:28 AM by Krylandalian »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have a 2nd Gen Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »
Cain't hep ya there...I only have one non-Colt Walker...tentatively...and you still have it! L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

Online LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Some things to consider when buying a Colt 2nd Gen Walker.

There are some different versions and editions.

1. Most of the standard edition 2nd Gens closely resemble Armi San Marco Walker's from the same general time period(early 1980's), except the grip frame on the Colt is more rounded at the butt than the ASM. Although a few ASM's have the rounded butt too. The most obvious sign of the Colt - ASM connection is the trigger, small and very curved. This small type trigger, IMO, more closely resembles the originals than the long Uberti trigger which I will describe next.

2. Some of the later serial numbered Colt 2nd Gens closely resemble Uberti's. They have a longer, less curved trigger and a longer, narrower grip shape just like Uberti's. The Colt's 2nd Gen's that look like this also usually have "COLT'S/PATENT" stamped on the left side of the frame. If you care about authenticity you might want to avoid these since the originals did not have "COLT'S/PATENT" on the frame, they were left blank.

3. Then there is the Colt 2nd Gen Heratige Edition Walker. This one is like the ASM type 2nd Gens in that it has the small trigger and the stout grip with the rounded butt. Where this one is different is in larger loading cut out. Personally, I really like this version because the larger loading cut out more closely resembles the originals and it looks like it would easily accept conical bullets, although I have never owned one to try. What I don't like about this one is that it's a commemorative. It's got unauthentic gold writing and engraving all over it. It does have authentic style military markings though, being marked C Company, ect. but it does not have the company markings on the left side barrel lug. Instead it has gaudy gold engraving.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
from what i have been told, the second gen colts were at first contracted from ASM by colt, who sourced a lot of their parts from Uberti.

the story goes two ways from here

1. colt cancelled the order halfway through production due to low sales and stuck ASM with a bunch of colt marked barrels, frames, cylinders etc so ASM built guns out of the leftover parts, which is where the "colt address" walkers came from (i heard this from Tom down at taylors and i own one myself)

or

2. colt cancelled production with ASM halfway through and cut out the middle man and went directly to uberti for the rest of the guns to save $$$. which left ASM to build the "colt address" guns... (heard this from the guy i got my "colt address" from)

either way the second gen colts are all actually ubertis which is why uberti parts like, conversion cylinders, fit both the second gens and the colt address ASM's...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »
Wow! Boomstick they don't come cheap. I may be getting a little nosy here, but why a second generation and not a Uberti, or ASM. I just wonder what makes them so special. I looked over a second gen 1860 a while back and the gun appeared to have been in unfired condition. When I got home and looked over my Uberti 1860 and worked the action it seemed to be about the same to me. Oh and good luck on finding what you want.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:36 AM »
yeah, with the "Colt" second gens, you're just spending an extra $500-$1000 for the name...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
I really like the 60s. I have 4, two Pietta 8" & 5", one ASM, and one Uberti both 8" barrels. I honestly have a hard time picking the one I like best. It's between the Pietta 5" bbl and the Uberti 8". The ASM has suprized me it's a bit older but a good shooter. I hope to start posting pis soon.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »
Well Cap n,  I reckon the second ASM could be the finders fee?  Regard n  that remark about can t  help.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »

Wow!  LonesomePigeon,  Now that you mention it,  I have seen these differences.  Never knew that.  I only knew something was different.  I would rather have one of the more authentic ones.  Do you know a serial number range to watch out for?  The reason I bought the 2 ASMs back in 1985 from Primitive arms was due to the mostest to the clostest to the originals, they were.  Geometry, markings etc.  Large loading cutout, slender grip , .

T h a n k  you!, for this info.  Your help here could very well be considered having found me one. 

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
99Whip,  I just looked at that!  That is pretty much what I want.  LonesomePigeon, what do you think?  With a SN of 4068, seems to be one of the earlier ones you mentioned.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
Why pay so much for a Colt reproduction when the Colt replicas are , ,.  Hmmm?  Well,  hmmm?   That s  agood one.  Some kind of magic  I guess.  Materialistically, perhaps worthless. Emotionally ?  Maybe it means everything?

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:04:27 AM »
99Whip,  I just looked at that!  That is pretty much what I want.  LonesomePigeon, what do you think?  With a SN of 4068, seems to be one of the earlier ones you mentioned.

That one does look pretty good.  As my finder's fee I will take one of your beat-up old gun discards...LOL.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Well Cap n,  I reckon the second ASM could be the finders fee?  Regard n  that remark about can t  help.
I would be happy to peruse my usual hauntings for you, haven't seen anything that's caught my eye yet. If I find one I will PM a link to you.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
Hi Krylandalian, I have 2 ASM Colt Walkers for sale here. They are both dated 1989. Let me know if ya would like one or both.  ;)