Author Topic: Walker conversion with "bp only" cylinder  (Read 679 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Walker conversion with "bp only" cylinder
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
 Am I reading this right?  Armi San Marco Walker conversion. Is this guy planning on using the original "black powder only" cylinder to fire smokeless cartridges? I thought smokeless out of a black powder gun was a huge no-no?

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/20616/45-60-walker-conversion-started

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Walker conversion with "bp only" cylinder
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
I might be wrong but my take on it is he's going to use bp.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
Thanks for viewing the post and commenting. Scroll down almost to the end, to the post with a picture of two cartridges. He says: "This one ought to be relatively safe seeing as it's actually a very mild .460 S&W load. In fact the mildest I could find; if my math is correct (hey, it could happen!) it ought to leave the Walker's 3-1/2" barrel at around 900 fps. It uses a 200gr. LRNFP, 7.1grains of Red Dot and a CCI300 primer."

Sounds to me like he plans on using 7.1 grains of Red Dot, which is a smokeless powder. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:18 AM »
7.1 gr Red Dot is what he says he's using for a trial load.  Then he states that final full loads will use a different powder but does not specify what that powder will be.

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:09 AM »
I get the impression he plans on using smokeless, but then he also says he's "saving for a Kirst". Unless he's planning on using Trail Boss, he's asking for trouble. Especially with no barrel. Red Dot is gonna put a 6 inch rooster tail of flame out front and it will kick like a mule without the barrel weight to steady it.
Bad move, IMHO.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:32:47 AM »
This is what he says towards the end of his first post: "Crap. OK after that I am going a different direction than originally planned. The Kirst is a very nice unit but at $390 it's going to take awhile to slip into the budget. This cylinder is pretty beefy, and I just turned down the base and bored through a C&B cylinder for another project so why not? I'm going to go the same route with this'n and fabricate a breech-plate with a pass-through for cartridges."

To me that sounds like he originally intended to use a Kirst but it's to expensive so he's going to use the original bp cylinder. The way it sounds to me "this cylinder is pretty beefy" means the original bp cylinder.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
I missed the red dot. He's going to lose some digits. I hope he gets somebody to hold his beer when he touches one off.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
I hope he does a follow-up, with pictures.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
Hi, call me stupid, but I don't understand the interest in hopping up a Walker. Even full load 50+gr of BP is known to seriously batter the wedge and arbor. I shoot 45 Colt in my Walker with conversion cylinder, but velocities are limited to 850fps. Want to get some power in a handgun, get either a Ruger or TC. This discussion simply reminds me of YouTube videos where the guy blows up cherry bombs in his belly button.  (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
Hi, call me stupid, but I don't understand the interest in hopping up a Walker. Even full load 50+gr of BP is known to seriously batter the wedge and arbor. I shoot 45 Colt in my Walker with conversion cylinder, but velocities are limited to 850fps. Want to get some power in a handgun, get either a Ruger or TC. This discussion simply reminds me of YouTube videos where the guy blows up cherry bombs in his belly button.  (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard

If you fix the short arbor it wont beat up the wedge and arbor.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »
I'm with you Richard.   You don't need to hot rod a Walker in order to shoot high power handguns.

Please provide a link to the cherry bomb belley button video.    I'd like to see that.    (hoping you were joking)

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
I'm with you Richard.   You don't need to hot rod a Walker in order to shoot high power handguns.

Please provide a link to the cherry bomb belley button video.    I'd like to see that.    (hoping you were joking)

There's one where a guy puts on a kevlar vest and shoots himself in the belly with a 9 mm block.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Hi Mike, yeah I was joking, a metaphor for all the crazy nonsense on YouTube. However, if we wait long enough, someone will try it.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure what he intends to do. Just so we're clear, if you make a conversion cylinder out of a cylinder that was originally proofed for "black powder only" it would not be wise or safe to fire smokeless cartridges out of it?

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure what he intends to do. Just so we're clear, if you make a conversion cylinder out of a cylinder that was originally proofed for "black powder only" it would not be wise or safe to fire smokeless cartridges out of it?

That would be correct, sir. You CAN fire Trail Boss as long as you keep the MV under BP velocities but why bother? It's a BP gun, load the cartridges with BP. You wanna shoot smokeless, buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"