Author Topic: Nipple Modification  (Read 358 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Nipple Modification
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this video but thought I would post it. 

I tried it on a set of ASM nipples that Remington 10 or 11 caps would fall right off, same result with CCI caps.  Now have a great fit with Rem 11's and the slight change in dimension didn't affect ignition.  Figured I would have to replace them till I saw this - not really rocket-science but I never thought of it as a solution.  I'm sure some of you guys were already aware of this.

https://youtu.be/V0_Sbzy7A4E

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Nipple Modification
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Hi whip, where do you get them? As far as my experience suggests, all the Slix-Shot nipples are 0.010" longer than stock. That will guarantee cap ignition, but soon causes an issue with the hammer face. I don't know if this is a calculated design, but it sure sucks. It's bad practice at it's worst, destructive to the revolver at it's best.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
I have a few sets of those after market nipples, not the Slix-Shot, the ones I have came from Track of the Wolf.   

I tested the video procedure on a set of 30 year old stock ASM nipples that a cap of any size would fall right off.  It changed the thickness of the cone just enough to get a great fit with a Rem 11.   

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
I have heard of some who have used a small, tapered punch (like maybe a nail set) to gently swell the neck of the nipple.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:33 AM »
I have heard of some who have used a small, tapered punch (like maybe a nail set) to gently swell the neck of the nipple.
I never thought of this. Great tip Mazo!  L@.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »
This is a great tip, thanks.