colt banner

Author Topic: Pyrodex pellets?  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Pyrodex pellets?
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
I mean....really? I saw these my last time a Bass Pro Shops..designed for, of all things, BP revolvers. I guess I could see the practicality if you are, say, handgun hunting. But if you're that much averted to slow and messy, then brother....BP 'ain't your thang!'. Just sayin'.....

http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex-pellets.html

Also, so what happens to the newbie that uses them in his brasser .44? 30gr is sure to shoot the arbor loose in a Colt brasser in three shakes of a lamb's tail.....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:35:45 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrodex pellets?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
I have had a pound can of R&S for over 25 years....still unopened! I also bought a pound of AP fffg ....still unopened. I only shoot the Holy Black! Order it by the 25 pound case and it is delivered to my door.....almost half the price of Pyrodex.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
Agreed..provided the hazmat fee gets absorbed over the bulk of the powder. One or two pounds at a crack throws it all out of whack.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
I mean....really? I saw these my last time a Bass Pro Shops..designed for, of all things, BP revolvers. I guess I could see the practicality if you are, say, handgun hunting. But if you're that much averted to slow and messy, then brother....BP 'ain't your thang!'. Just sayin'.....

http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex-pellets.html

Also, so what happens to the newbie that uses them in his brasser .44? 30gr is sure to shoot the arbor loose in a Colt brasser in three shakes of a lamb's tail.....

Hi Captain, I would bet you that seven out of ten brassers get shot a dozen or more times and then get relegated to a piece of living room sculpture. Some can't handle the cleaning issues, especially using Pyrodex or BP.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
Unfortunately, the same holds true with the majority of BP revolvers....brass or steel. Just seems that some well-meaning newbie just getting started might see pellets as a 'cool 'n' easy' alternative to loose powder in that new (read; cheap) brasser he just bought. Please note that the outrageously-priced brasser Remmies that come complete in the clear-plastic bubble pack 'starter kit' conveniently have no caps or powder included. So, our hero goes over to the BP shelf and sees...yep.
He might be able to get away with it for a short time with a Remmy, but I've seen Colts shoot loose in as little as a dozen shots.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
Unfortunately, the same holds true with the majority of BP revolvers....brass or steel. Just seems that some well-meaning newbie just getting started might see pellets as a 'cool 'n' easy' alternative to loose powder in that new (read; cheap) brasser he just bought. Please note that the outrageously-priced brasser Remmies that come complete in the clear-plastic bubble pack 'starter kit' conveniently have no caps or powder included. So, our hero goes over to the BP shelf and sees...yep.
He might be able to get away with it for a short time with a Remmy, but I've seen Colts shoot loose in as little as a dozen shots.

When you say Colts, do you mean replica Colts with brass frames, are shooting loose so easy?

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
Yep. Usually the Pietta '.44 Navies' (which we know are a 'fantasy gun'...never existed back in the day, unless converted by a 'smith) And, of course, I was referring to the brassers.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
I always thought that the pellets were made for the inline muzzleloaders. I would never use them in either revolvers of front stuffers.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
I always thought that the pellets were made for the inline muzzleloaders. I would never use them in either revolvers of front stuffers.

Hi Pustic, the 30gr Pryodex pellets are specifically made for revolvers. The actual weight is 24.12gr/pellet. While I find Pryodex loose powder inconsistent, the pellets are pretty effective and consistent in velocity. Add a BP booster charge and the pellets rival the same weight of Swiss.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »

Hi Pustic, the 30gr Pryodex pellets are specifically made for revolvers. The actual weight is 24.12gr/pellet. While I find Pryodex loose powder inconsistent, the pellets are pretty effective and consistent in velocity. Add a BP booster charge and the pellets rival the same weight of Swiss.

Regards,
Richard
Well, that's what I get for thinking, huh.  *6' I still won't use them, I like loose powder. Do the pellets crush to a powder when you seat the ball, or does it remain a pellet?  ???
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
They crush to powder.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
That's what I thought.  ;)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Ask me how I know..... ???

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Ok, and how do you know?  ???

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »
Me and my grown son were at Bass Pro. I was showing him the jars of Pyrodex pellets and he opened the jar to look at one. Before I could say anything, he squeezed it between thumb and forefinger.....POOF! That's how I know...... *6'