colt banner

Author Topic: Pyrodex pellets?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrodex pellets?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »

Well, that's what I get for thinking, huh.  *6' I still won't use them, I like loose powder. Do the pellets crush to a powder when you seat the ball, or does it remain a pellet?  ???

Hi Pustic, whether it is crushed or not depends on the person loading. Pryodex recommends not to crush the pellet on loading. I use the Tower of Power loading tool and can feel if the pellet is crushing. IMO even if the pellet is crushed, it is still in large pieces. Velocities are much higher for the pellet compared to the same weight of loose powder. Do what Johnnie does by adding 10BP as a booster and that load really thumps. The loose BP also supports the pellet from crushing on loading.

If I didn't know better, I would believe that loose powder would be more effective than a pellet. The pellet is a pretty course grain compared to Pryodex P.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
10-4 there Richard. I'll just stick to my loose powder and be happy with it.  )%g
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:13:24 PM by Pustic »
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
Richard, in my way of thinking, if you add a black powder booster to the Pyrodex, why not just use black powder? Way less expensive than black powder. and you don't have to carry two different powders. I bought a can of Pyrodex right after the plant blew up killing the inventor, thinking it would be a collectible. HAH! So much for that idea!. Got another can in a trade deal and both of those cans have sat on the shelf in the shed for all these years. Same with a can of AP powder I bought on a whim. Might get around to shooting those powders up.....someday.