colt banner

Author Topic: Walker woes  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Walker woes
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
Took my Blackboxer out.  Problems.  The wedge would nt  budge!  I had to really smack it with a resin striker.   T h e n   I could nt  get it back in!  It would angle in against the base pin, hitting the inside of the barrel.  Hours and hours looking, scrutinizing, magnifying glass, trying other wedges - which were   a l l   too small, including the replacement wedge for a Walker I got from DGW- ,  I finally, the next day, resorted to filing and honing the wedge until it went   b a c k   in.

The cones-  I could nt  get 11 s  or 12 s on them!  They don t  appear damaged from dry firing or anything like that.  I replaced them with Dragoon cones and it worked.  Ones I have as replacements I got for the Dragoons.

This Walker really seems to have been almost untouched. When I unpacked it, itstill had the plastic sleeve and a gooey residue all over it.  Seemed to be the original lube when it was packed.  No turn marks and no cylinder lock bolt recess marks.

Man!

Anyhoo,  she s  going now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:39:47 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Walker woes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »
The cones-  I could nt  get 11 s  or 12 s on them!

Where did you find 12's? Or perchance you meant 10's?

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Ok very important. A too tight wedge on a Colt 2nd Gen can cause the arbor to loosen. Sometimes it's the wedge screw or sometimes it could be the wedge slots. The first thing to check is the screw. Hopefully that's the problem because it's an easy fix. Misaligned slots, not so easy.

So, sometimes the wedge screw hole was drilled too low or off to one side. Take the wedge screw out completely and see if the wedge then goes in/out easily. If the wedge goes in/out easily with the wedge screw out then all you have to do is file down the screw head to make it smaller in diameter. You can do it by chucking it in a drill and turning it down or you can just file it by hand.

If it's not the screw then it's probably the wedge slots. I can't help with that, it takes a professional. It may require removing and resetting the arbor. I suppose it could also be that the wedge is simply too big but probably not.

If you don't fix it what happens is the wedge bears down hard on the arbor every time you remove or install it and eventually the arbor comes loose. This problem seems to be fairly common with the 2nd Gens. Of the 3 I have 2 have it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
Ok very important. A too tight wedge on a Colt 2nd Gen can cause the arbor to loosen. Sometimes it's the wedge screw or sometimes it could be the wedge slots. The first thing to check is the screw. Hopefully that's the problem because it's an easy fix. Misaligned slots, not so easy.

So, sometimes the wedge screw hole was drilled too low or off to one side. Take the wedge screw out completely and see if the wedge then goes in/out easily. If the wedge goes in/out easily with the wedge screw out then all you have to do is file down the screw head to make it smaller in diameter. You can do it by chucking it in a drill and turning it down or you can just file it by hand.

If it's not the screw then it's probably the wedge slots. I can't help with that, it takes a professional. It may require removing and resetting the arbor. I suppose it could also be that the wedge is simply too big but probably not.

If you don't fix it what happens is the wedge bears down hard on the arbor every time you remove or install it and eventually the arbor comes loose. This problem seems to be fairly common with the 2nd Gens. Of the 3 I have 2 have it.

If it's going in on an angle it's not the screw. If it was in straight to start with it should have gone back. If the arbor length is correct and the wedge slots line up there shouldn't be a problem. I fail to see how a fairly soft wedge can loosen a threaded and pinned arbor.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
That's how it was explained to me by Gary Barnes, aka Hoof Hearted. If the wedge screw is set too low it pushes the wedge down and wedge in turn pushes down on the arbor. Supposedly the 2nd Gens are more susceptible because the frames are different from Uberti frames, Gary said there is a shoulder inside the frame that the arbor butts up against and in the 2nd Gens the shoulder is narrower than on Uberti's. What I can say for sure is that I have 3 2nd Gens and 2 of them got loose arbors. The 2 that got loose arbors both had the wedge screw set too low and the 1 that did not get a loose arbor had the wedge screw set properly.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
All of you offering this help is worth everything.  Screw checks AOK.  Wedge slot is not aligned. More than about an eighth of an inch of the pin is visible through the barrel wedge slot. The foreward part.

After filing/honing, it is now functioning normal.

Just like the original Walkers, it seems.  Problems, problems ,   p r o b l e m s .

Right you are Hawg.  I meant  10 s  and 11 s .

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 11:45:31 PM »
Hmmm?

Just got the second Walker and it s  cones are also   v e r y   big!  10 s  and 11 s   won t  fit.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
I read somewhere that the 2nd Gen Walker's and Dragoons out-sourced nipples from different manufacturers. Some have nipples that take #10's and/or 11's and some have nipples that take #12's. You must have one that takes #12's. Track of the Wolf should have the right replacement nipples that will fit your Walker and allow it to take #10's and/or #11's. I have a set on my 3rd Dragoon, they are good nipples.

TOTW has at least 3 different types of Walker/Dragoon nipples. I will see if I can figure out which ones are the right ones and post a link.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/3
RST-WI    1/4-28 black short cone
RST-WLS    1/4-28 silver long cone.
RST-WS    1/4-28 silver short cone.

Above are the Track of The Wolf Walker/Dragoon nipples. The threads are all the same, the main difference is the size of the cone. The "short cones" come in black or silver and the "long cone" only comes in silver. If I recall correctly I ordered a set of the black short cones and they were too short for my Colt 2nd Gen 3rd Model Dragoon(the hammer would not hit the nipple) but they did fit on my Uberti Walker. So I ordered a set of the silver long cone and they fit perfect on my  2nd Gen 3rd Dragoon. I am think that your 2nd Gen Walker will require the "long cone". You can order a set of the long cones and if they don't fit TOTW is very good about exchanges, you can send them back and get the short cones.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
Thank you for this.  G r e a t   help!  I have all three Dragoons.  The cones are as you stated.  I changed the cones from a Walker, placed the ones from the Second Dragoon on it.  The hammer would nt  strike.   They seem to be #9 shorts.  The First Dragoon has #12 Longs.  Both Walkers are 12longs also.  The First dragoon I had in the 80 s,  I remember getting #12 s for it.  Caps, that is.

Of all the Colts I have, the   o n l y   properly fitting caps to cones model I have is the Greyboxer 49 Pocket.  The #10 caps go on easily and stay on.  They do blast apart and go into the lockwork if I don t flip it to the side while cocking.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Cones on both Walkers are too big,- meaning they re  for #12 caps.  I did nt  get a replacement set for Christmas, so I gound/honed m  down and reblued one set of them.  Now!  They re  a perfect #10 fit.

I ll  do the other too.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
Yeah,  Knocked it off where it was lying and it fell on my foot.  Bruised my toe.  It was in its holster.  Glad it was!