Author Topic: Picket s Charge!  (Read 270 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Picket s Charge!
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:59:36 AM »
Those Pickets from the steel Walker mold are something!  That long snout directs it sideways upon impact where it delivers quite a shock.  Blowing chunks out the back of 2 x 12 s.

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
Re: Picket s Charge!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »
I believe the "Picket Bullets" also give over 1250 fps out of a Walker, according to a recent review in a Percussion Revolver book.  They were supposed to be very effective out to over 100 yards, supposedly better than "the common musket" out to 200.

My question is, many people believe the bullet profile is incorrect in the reproduction molds - that the bullet should be more rounded and heavier, due to the Walker Contract stipulation of so many bullets to the pound, by weight. 

So the question remains, was the contract ignored and this "Picket" design really is the actual bullet fired by Walkers in the Mexican War, or did somehow a "modern" bullet profile get reproduced in the Colt 2nd and 3rd (and Pedersolli, I think) Generation recent production molds.  All we need is for someone to measure/cast a real bullet out of a REAL Walker mold!

I would just assume that a real Walker mold was copied to make the reproductions - why would you change the bullet design - or was it??
CC