Author Topic: A Very Nice Buck  (Read 152 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Very Nice Buck
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
This is not my harvest, but one of a very good and young friend. I put him on this buck this morning. I have not included a pic of him because I do not have his permission. This young kid shows true grit and I have taken him under my wing of late. I have been coaching him on getting into the black powder bug and have gifted him an 1860 Army and belt rig. Anyway, he has been after me for nearly two years to take him hunting, and well, I rekon he got his wish today. I feel this kid has the potential to take on and live some of the older traditions. He has an honest and true quality about him and is worth putting some time into.

This is one of those good ol woods bucks that lived off the beaten path. They are hard to sneak up on and are seldom seen. The stars were aligned just right this morning and he was able to take a dandy. It was taken in one of my old patches of woods that I used to hunt a lot when I was younger. As it is, I took a bunch of pics of him, the buck, a couple with me, and some random shots, and decided to share two of them. Of most important and interest to you forum members is the one with my old Marlin 1893 in 38-55. I took the picture just because the opportunity was present. As I was dragging the buck out of the woods, it struck me to snap this shot with the little lever rifle. I hope you enjoy

DSCN4777 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4767 (2) by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: A Very Nice Buck
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
That buck is a dandy, Scooby! And hats off to you for your generosity and mentoring attitude. It's because of folks like you that our past is allowed to live on. Maybe some day I'll get to crack a bottle and raise a glass with you. )l_
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:07 AM »
 :)  Awesome going Scooby. Bravo

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:14 AM »
Nice Buck!  L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:07 AM »
Nice buck you put your friend onto Scooby.   Lucky guy to have you as a teacher.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:24:13 AM »
Some good eatin there, not to mention a lot of knife handles etc.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:23 AM »
Great job Scooby.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
Hey Scooby,

Nice 93.

I have one in 32-40, pretty rough but I did bag a doe with it back in 1991. It isn't a Saddle Ring Carbine, but a Short Rifle instead. Some "Moron" set a pair of Silver Dollars in the Butt Stock, then another "Moron" removed them, so it has two counter sets in the stock one on each side. I discovered that it shoots jacketed bullets fine, but my cast bullets tumbled so I mixed some 60/40 solder in with the wheel weights (3 parts WW to 1 part 60/40) and they shoot fine. I always wanted to have the receiver re-colored and re-stock the old girl but it's just one of those projects. The Barrel is marked "Special Smokeless Steel".

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
Scooby, that is very good of you to mentor that young man! I like the Marlin too. I used to have a short rifle (not carbine) with a button mag that was supposedly special ordered.