Author Topic: Manhattan Mould  (Read 853 times)

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
Re: Manhattan Mould
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Does anybody have any experience casting with an original Manhattan mould?  Probably a long shot but just thought I'd ask.  If so, curious as to the diameter round ball and conical that it casts.
Mazo, who is an a-mazo-ing guy, fixed me up with an original Manhattan mold a while back. So I cast both balls and bullets for the orig .36

Bullets did fit just fine, but the balls were too big, couldn't or rather didn't dare to use that excessive force on the lever to get them seated. So my deduction is, that back in the days, they preferred to cast balls and that's why the ball recess is far more worn out than the bullet cavity.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »
Did some casting with the Manhattan mold.
The bullets come out varying from .374" to .382" on the same bullet, so not quite round.
The balls are really un-round and oblong from  on the same ball .382" to .425".

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
Could your hinge pin be worn?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
Could your hinge pin be worn?
No, it's not. My theory is that the mold has been used a lot for casting balls and has been corroded and worn down. Seems to be mostly worn in the bottom part. Never mind, its a nice relic that looks good alongside the revolver and if I ever get down to making a walnut box for the gun, the mold would fit in just fine.