Author Topic: Started another one  (Read 125 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Started another one
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »
Well, lets see what happens in the near future with this piece. In case some of you newer members do not know, I have made about fifty of these powder chargers over the years and they are scattered all over the country, from the East coast to the West coast. All of them have been passed on as gifts, nothing more than a token of appreciation for some individual that has an interest to carry on the tradition of old school muzzle loader shooting. I can no longer tell you where most of them went to. I have retained four of them for personal use, and half a dozen local friends have one. At one time, they took on quite an interest and I regularly had an inquiry for one by some individual that enjoys the life.

Anyway, a long time back. A Montana buddy asked for one to accompany a custom powder horn he had received from a maker in Ohio. I said yes, and to keep my word, I am finally getting around to it. It took me a while to get in the mood, but the mood has hit, and it is time to honor my word. However, that is the way it goes when one wants a crafted item from a Jack of many trades, but a master of none.

This was a perfect speciman that I cut from a whitetail shed that I found a few years back. It takes the right shaped tine from an antler to make one of these.
DSCN1588 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

After four hours of hand work, I have the exterior shaped to satisfaction and the cavity is hollowed out and polished to throw 80 grains of black. I have drawn on some preliminary lines for the shaping that I will do on the portion behind the main cavity.
DSCN1590 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

I am going to copy the shape of this piece. It was always a favorite that I did. The one in this pic was made from an old weathered elk tine. The one I am now making is from a fresh deer tine and will have some type of scrimshaw on it.
SANY0067 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Here is a pic of a sample of some that I have made. All but a few are long gone out of these parts now, never to be seen by my eyes again. I hope the men that received them are still using them. This kind of craft work was made to be used and enjoyed in the woods. The one that I am making right now will for sure see use in the woods.
SANY1041 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Started another one
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:36:49 AM »
"Jack of many trades but master of none" huh? 

I don't know Scooby, it looks like master craftsmanship to me.  Really nice work, anyone would be fortunate to have one of those measures.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:55:34 AM »
Nice,   good to see you have gotten in the mood for one more.   Keep us informed on your progress.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »
Scooby, you been holding out on us?
I've seen some of your scrimshaw work before, but oh, my....I will tip my hat, and a bottle... )l_ to you, my friend.
BTW, I see you and Flickr are getting on well these days.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »
"Jack of many trades but master of none" huh? 

I don't know Scooby, it looks like master craftsmanship to me.  Really nice work, anyone would be fortunate to have one of those measures.

Agreed!

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:59 AM »
That is really fine work! I've definitely seen lesser stuff go for a killing at Ren Faires.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
DSCN1590 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Say, whatcha drinkin' there, Scoob?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Ah, the clear glass is a candy dish and the bottle to the left is the wife's wine. I was sipping from a bottle of "Hell Cat Maggy" Irish whisky that rests on the upper shelf though.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Ah, the clear glass is a candy dish and the bottle to the left is the wife's wine. I was sipping from a bottle of "Hell Cat Maggy" Irish whisky that rests on the upper shelf though.

Ah, sure an' 'tis a man after me own heart.... )l_

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:44 PM »
The old hands and eyes are working fine for this piece. I just eyeball every thing when I make a horn or a powder charger. It seems to work out in the end. I now have the upper transitions roughed in for this night of work on the bench. I will report, however, that this piece of antler is harder than a turd inside of a dead and frozen polar bear. It takes a bit of effort to file on this antler tine!

DSCN1592 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:09:46 PM by scooby »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
Amazing work. I was wondering how you were doing the turnings but by hand with a file, all I can say is WOW!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
I saw a small basket of antler tips and various cuttings the other day at the flea market.  Might have to pick them up next time.  Great work Scooby.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Scooby, after having made a couple of those type powder measures myself, all I can say is.....you are a glutton for punishment! AND....you do great work! And, antler IS hard to work. I have never been able to scrim mine, just file work. I made a friction folder knife from antler and a saw blade a couple of years ago that I wanted to put a Celtic knot on the antler crown, just never figured out a good way to do it.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
I have found over the years that there is differing degrees of hardness among antler. I suppose factors such as age, diet, genetics, etc. are the reasons. This particular piece of antler is especially hard. Say Mazo, when I get ready to do some scratching on this, I will show you a tool I made to do it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:04:10 PM by scooby »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll be watching for it.