Author Topic: A New Henry Sling  (Read 491 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A New Henry Sling
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
Planned on getting a sling for this rifle 20 years ago. Now it seems, a good one cannot be found, only phony ones. So I bought some hardware and made my own. I copied a sling that I knew about, based on a period rifle, but I do not know the origin of the sling. It differs from other patterns that I have seen. There are not very many surviving examples.

Anyway, everything worked out just fine and the sling is a fine addition to this particular Henry. There were a few times back when I packed this rifle along on cougar hunts that I wished it already had one. Better late than never I suppose.

DSCN1664 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Online sltm1

• View Profile
Re: A New Henry Sling
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
As usual....excellent work pard !!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »
I have some of the same hardware laying around here somewhere,  after seeing the nice job you did on this one I may have to make one for myself.   The one that came on the Henry I just bought is one of the cheap lousy ones.   Yours looks fantastic.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
Thanks Roland and Mike. It looks and functions fine. However, I did not have any 7 ounce on hand, so I made it out of 9 ounce. It would have been better with a lighter weight, but it will do as is. Truth be known, the ol Henry has already seen it's day and won't see any more serious use ftom me. So with that, the sling and rifle will get some attention, perhaps once a year, but someone will end up with a sound rifle and sling before too many more years pass, and hopefully put it to use like I once did. They will then put some honest wear on the sling. Until then, it can rest around here and look good.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
I gotta say, Scooby...I'm a mite envious of your long gun collection. You know how to pick 'em and the Henry is no exception. I had always assumed you couldn't properly 'sling' a Henry (other than with a Beverly Hillbillies length of rope) but as usual, you shine through first class.
I really appreciate you sharing your hardware and woodcraft with us here.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"