Author Topic: The Finest Looking 22 Rifle  (Read 671 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Finest Looking 22 Rifle
« on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
I find myself hard pressed to look at, handle, and shoot a single shot 22 rifle that has more appeal than a Stevens Favorite. It does not matter if it is of the 1894, 1915, or 1917 version. The very fact that it is a true lever action is the greatest attribute. They simply remind me of a diminutive 1885 Winchester rifle. Very gracefull overall in the architecture, and made in such a manner where form and function meet at a very pleasing point. They are just flat out damn fine looking pieces.

The one featured here is a 1917 modle. It is one of the few better examples of untouched and well preserved original rifles that I own. I was out shooting it today and got to feeling mighty lucky and fortunate on some of the blessings that have come my way as far as fire arms possession goes. That very feeling compelled me to take and share some pictures with you men.

Every time I shoot one of these original rifles, I get to go back in time when American craftmanship took on a distinct degree of style and sense of pride. They say you can't live in the past, but I do not live by that cliche. I do such a thing several times each week in some form or another. Always remember what ol Locke once said several hundred years ago. "As nothing teaches, so nothing delights more than history."

DSCN1763 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1745 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1760 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1757 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Re: The Finest Looking 22 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »
Nice Scooby!

Bringing back memories--my grandmother's garden gun was a Stevens Favorite.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
You're right Scooby,  absolutely one of the best looking rifles ever made.   From the comb of the stock,  the curve of the loading lever, to the octagon to round barrel.   Every inch is beauty to behold.    I wish they all were as nice as yours though.   I see a lot of them that are way beyond bringing back to the shape yours in.   

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:07:35 PM »
A fine looking rifle indeed.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
Thanks men. Yep Mike, to find one in this condition is rare. That is why I stated that I feel blessed to have come by this one.

I have a twin to this one in 25 Stevens calibre. It was a full refurbish job. I got it for a good price, and it now looks real good, but the chamber is in real rough shape, as is the bore.

Regardless, it will still shoot with acceptable accuracy. However, the fired cases do not want to eject easily due to the chamber. But at this point, I have some suspicion that it could be from the ammo that I have on hand. It is Canuck and might be loaded a bit hotter than the older original stuff. And of course, 25 Stevens ammo is hard to come by, so I do not have a lot of options for experimenting.

Anyway, most of these ol rifles were neglected and suffer from excessive corrosion, so it can be a challenge to find one in serviceable condition. But when or if you find one, they are a real treat.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:21:39 AM by scooby »