• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
LMAO!
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
 (7+" (7+" (7+"

Seriously?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-revolvers/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/567338580/pietta-model-navy-yank-pepperbox-cal-black-powder-revolver/2373101.uts?slotId=13

"Own a piece of American history with Pietta's Model 1851 Navy “Yank” Pepperbox .36-Cal. Black-Powder Revolver. "

What "history" books are they reading from...the same one that teachers are using to 'mind-scrub' the students of today...like teaching that the ACW was fought over slavery?

A Colt revolver pepperbox design never existed. I guess the only piece of history you would be owning is to be included among a group of idiots who were sold a bill of goods in the new millennium and convinced to buy a totally useless firearm than never existed in it's present form. I would imagine that muzzle velocity straight out of a smoothbore cylinder would not exceed that of a Red Ryder BB gun.
What a scam. Shame on you, Pietta!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: LMAO!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
I saw that gun...

If I had the money to mess around with... I would buy it.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
Get a grip there Cap.  That thing is no where near as dangerous to history as a liberal in a class room.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
  That thing is no where near as dangerous to history as a liberal in a class room.

That's true.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
Get a grip there Cap.  That thing is no where near as dangerous to history as a liberal in a class room.

Very true, Rog.
I don't mind the Pietta "fantasy guns" or the idea to get creative with new/unusual designs. But when you begin making statements like the above, you are teaching 'false history' to newbies and the uneducated. Just like the BS stating the brass Remingtons were utilized by the South. It's simply not true, and I resent that. Tell it as it is, don't BS me, Pietta.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
History aside, I wonder if there's a way to put a barrel on that gun and have a .36 caliber capable of firing an 80 grain charge?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »
No but you can put a standard cylinder and barrel on it

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
Never say never. If somebody can turn a Colt Single Action Army into a .410 shotgun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJoQc5Xqc4&feature=youtu.be

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »
"  I would imagine that muzzle velocity straight out of a smoothbore cylinder would not exceed that of a Red Ryder BB gun."

I don't know.  No loss of velocity from the cylinder gap.  Or maybe it's an infinite gap.   (7+"
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 06:30:57 AM »
Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Almost as funny as the catalog I saw that advertised what looked like an 1851 repro that had "a revolving flintlock mechanism."

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 06:42:12 AM »
"  I would imagine that muzzle velocity straight out of a smoothbore cylinder would not exceed that of a Red Ryder BB gun."

I don't know.  No loss of velocity from the cylinder gap.  Or maybe it's an infinite gap.   (7+"

With a patched ball it would be like one of the smoothbore pocket pistols or a little more than a Red Ryder  *6'

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
 On that Cabela's link they show the one shot Traditions .31 derringer.  Sportsman's Guide offered those about ten years ago for $99.00 but they would not send it to CA, they said it was illegal  That was an argument I lost.

Miss Wheeler defending herself against Sepoys at Cawnpore in 1857, from 'The History of the Indian Mutiny', published in 1858 (engraving).  Maybe Miss Wheeler's pistol is a Volcanic or maybe she got her "Yank" from Cabelas.  We can treat upon that other fantasy of the ACW not being due to the "peculiar institution" some other time, or not.      ::)

Schlong NIKE, bigly...

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
The only way that thing would be interesting to me would be if you could have a chain fire of all chambers every time, then let a "friend" shoot it. (>?

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
You mean the Yankee cavalry weren't riding around with a brace of pepper boxes? Next you'll be telling me the CSS Hunley didn't sink the USS Housatonic with one shot from their deck mounted brass '58 Remmy.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
You mean the Yankee cavalry weren't riding around with a brace of pepper boxes? Next you'll be telling me the CSS Hunley didn't sink the USS Housatonic with one shot from their deck mounted brass '58 Remmy.

No it was a one shot keg of bp on an iron pole. *6'