colt banner

Author Topic: World's finest Walker up for auction  (Read 563 times)

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
World's finest Walker up for auction
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
Up for auction is the what is considered one of the finest Walkers in existence today. Includes a personal note from Sam'l Colt himself.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/Cased-Colt-Model-Colt-Civilian-Walker-Revolver_B8B47AAA70/

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: World's finest Walker up for auction
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
$750,000.00   I don't think Kimmy would let me bid/buy that gun........ (l"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
I like the case. I have seen two different reproductions of that case. One, which I saw on gunsinternational or gunsamerica, was pretty much an exact copy, I think it might have housed a Uberti Walker but I'm not sure. The other one, I saw at a gun show, and it had all the same basic features but with more space between the compartments. It housed an Armi San Marco Walker.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
From guns.com:

The famed Colt Model 1847 Walker revolver known as the “Danish Sea Captain” set a world record for a single firearm sold at auction last weekend.

As previously reported by Guns.com, the big .44 Colt earned its moniker due to its first owner, Capt. Niels Hanson who bought the gun in New York while in port and brought it back to Europe with him where it was passed down through his family and collectors in Denmark for over a century.

Well documented over the years, the revolver was billed by Rock Island Auction Company as the only known original cased Colt civilian Walker percussion revolver in circulation. When the gavel dropped on the rare hog leg, it hit the $1.84 million mark.

“This is a major milestone in the collecting community,” said RIAC President Kevin Hogan. “Not only is this a world record for a single firearm at auction, but further demonstration that the art and history in firearms is really catching fire.”

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
I find it interesting that the mold handles are straight. Very nice set! Doubt I will ever see it .
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning