Author Topic: After-Market Nipples  (Read 298 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
After-Market Nipples
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
Don't know if this is the right place to be asking this, but I just couldn't find one more suitable, so here goes;  I use SuperSlix nipples on 2 of my Uberti 1860 Army's and like them just fine.  I'd like to buy a bunch more for some of my other Colts, but the only place I could find any online was a place called Badman Bullets and their whole IT ordering layout was designed by a chimp, seems like.  I tried and I tried to order the apparently ONE set of s they had in stock but just couldn't.  Their system wouldn't recognize my cart by the time it was time to checkout, and a whole list of other headaches.

Anyway, if anybody knows where I could get these online I'd sure like to know.  Other than that, if anybody knows of something better I'd love to be in on the secret and would appreciate knowing what these nipples were and the best place to purchase them online.

Many Thanks - Marc

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: After-Market Nipples
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
To be honest, Marc...I've never had a lick of trouble with the stockers.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
Mark,

Try Desperado Cowboy Bullets http://cowboybullets.com/SliX-Products_c_15.html 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »
Fingers, that's the EXACT place I bought them from before but just couldn't remember the site at all at my advanced age now - THANKS!  Captain, consider yourself either blessed or extremely adept at the workings of the Colt replica cap 'n ball pistol.  Probably both.

Many thanks to both of you fine gentlemen for the speedy replies.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:48:16 AM »
Hi shooter, I would be very careful buying Slix-Shot nipples. I have found SlixShot nipples to be consistently 0.010" longer than stock. That will soon have your hammer face peened badly. Many swear by Slix-Shot, but if I used them I would decrease the face of the hammer by ~0.010". Having a proper hammer to nipple distance minimizes nipple and hammer wear. A correct sized hammer to nipple distance also allows for safe dry firing.

I think that because of the longer Slix-Shot length, those with misfires due to short stock nipples find that ignition reliability improves. However, there can be a longer term dark side.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
Ooooooh, that definitely sounds nasty, Richard.  Thank you for this warning.  I'll have to check the pistols that have them for wear and think mighty hard about maybe putting the brakes on ordering any more. Very interesting observation I've never heard mentioned anywhere, but a valuable one, indeed.

Another reason that makes this site so beneficial to us Colt BP lovers!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
I've been shooting bp revolvers since 1969 and never had a problem with stock nipples.