colt banner

Author Topic: How does the 1st, 2nd and early 3rd Dragoon Loading Lever Catch Work?  (Read 517 times)

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
This Blackpowder Colt stuff is getting expensive.....

Just picked up a near new but somewhat abused 3rd Dragoon by Uberti from a local pawn shop.  It was $250 - which quickly became $200 when I pointed out that a few nicks and scratches and that the cylinder would not turn and the loading lever was stuck "up". 

Brought it home and reversed the wedge - yes, the previous owner had put it in the wrong side.  A nice gun, when assembled right, excellent tight lockup, better than my Uberti Walker.  But there is another problem - I can't get the lever latch to move much at all - not  nearly back enough to release the loading lever for use.  It may have been filed on to stop it from dropping by the previous owner - or not. I'm not sure what I am looking at.

Does anyone have a video/pictures of how the latch moves far enough to let the lever drop?  Or could you measure how much movement is normal when you push on the little stud on the bottom of the catch.  My guess is I just need to file material off the spring side of the loading lever catch so it can be pushed/rotated deeper into the lever in order to release it.

Thanks in advance.  Col. Colt 

PS - I now have a 2nd Gen 1861 Navy, A Uberti 3rd Dragoon (with perfect lockup), An 1860 Army (Uberti), a Uberti Walker and a 3rd Generation Walker in a case with accessories.  Like I said, this habit gets expensive.  I keep finding orphaned percussion Colts that need rescuing!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:48:25 AM by Col. Colt »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: How does the 1st, 2nd and early 3rd Dragoon Loading Lever Catch Work?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:11:56 AM »
The catch on my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon only moves 5/32nds of an inch (.156).   Actually slightly less.  it provides just enough movement to release the loading lever.   The spring is very stiff and requires considerable effort to release. 

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks, Mike - this one hardly moves at all and the pin was mangled - which makes me suspect someone tried to "improve" it, and the mating surfaces of the latch are bright, not blued.  I assume you just push it straight back - I don't see how it could pivot.
 I don't have another early type latch 3rd Dragoon to look at here in Anchorage, as the last one I knew at a gun shop sold last month. 

By the way, the timing and lockup on this Uberti 3rd Dragoon is exceptional - the trigger only average - it should really shoot well if I can get the Loading Lever to come down and work! 
CC

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:04:08 AM »
Yes the catch slides straight back.  I'll try post a photo later.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Greetings my Dear Netizens ...

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but on my ASM dragoons, the loading lever latch pivots, and one must push it
forward ( ie towards the muzzle )
or have I gone barmy again?

yhs
prof marvel

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
My 3rd model Dragoon made by Uberti in 1999 has a latch that looks just like the one in Prof Marvel's photo but it does not pivot.   The only way it moves is straight back toward the trigger guard.   I just went and looked at it to make sure I'm not "going barmy".   

Sorry Col. Colt,  forgot about posting a pic.

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
From the outside, it looks like it should pivot - but the catch slides in a cylindrical hole in the lever, and cannot pivot up or down much - unless the catch diameter at the back is sloppy.  CC

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
On the ASM 3rd model I just picked up, you push the catch lever forward and it pivots to release the lever. If anyone is interested, I'll post a short video clip of the process.