Author Topic: All-Around Gun "Grease"  (Read 412 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
All-Around Gun "Grease"
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Am I to believe that the places which should take a little shot of grease would be best served by a little shot of bore butter, or is there something else I'm missing?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: All-Around Gun "Grease"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »
Anywhere I could use gun grease, I use lithium grease.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Bore Butter won't adhere to the arbor for me.  It soon blows off and dissipates.  For the past several years, upon Captain's recommendation, I have used Lubriplate 630.  That stuff works great.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi, I never use any grease type of product on BP revolvers. Fouling turn the grease to black goo that is difficult to clean off. I simply use Ballistol that is water miscible. The only place I use a grease is on cartridge revolvers that use smokeless powder.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
Grease on the insides won't hurt anything. Petroleum based lubes turn into a hard to clean mess anywhere combustion occurs. Bore Butter gets runny when it gets hot.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:41 PM »
Fully agree Hawg. The grease/black powder plague is nothing but a mere myth. Folks have been using some form of grease with black powder since Christ was wearing diapers.

I have shot many a blackpowder rounds with vaseline as a main lube. Well shit my pants and slap the dog, it is a petroleum product.

I use bear and mink grease all of the time in my flintlocks. All of my Colt revolvers get a good dose of Rig grease on every working part. Grease, no matter what form it is, works just fine with black powder.

Some time back, some one convinced a whole lot of people that grease and black powder are a bad combo. Tons of shooters jumped on the band wagon. Empiricism be damded.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:52:04 PM by scooby »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:19:31 AM »

I have shot many a blackpowder rounds with vaseline as a main lube. Well shit my pants and slap the dog, it is a petroleum product.

There are exceptions to every rule and Vaseline is one of them. It is a petroleum product but it's not as refined as lubes are. It seems the more petro products are refined the worse they are. Synthetic lubes and grease from what I hear work well too.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
Hi scooby, IMO a correct BP lube isn't a myth. Bullet lubes on manufactured lead bullets are either designed and used for smokeless or BP. Water cleanup of BP shooting is much easier with a lube that is water miscible. A BP sub like Black Mz suggests that no lube is desired at all.

Closely held beliefs are a terrible thing to waste?

IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
Hi scooby, IMO a correct BP lube isn't a myth. Bullet lubes on manufactured lead bullets are either designed and used for smokeless or BP. Water cleanup of BP shooting is much easier with a lube that is water miscible. A BP sub like Black Mz suggests that no lube is desired at all.

Closely held beliefs are a terrible thing to waste?

IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup.

Regards,
Richard

This is also true. Any lube that isn't water soluble is going to be harder to clean, especially any kind of grease.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
....IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup Regards, Richard
   I agree, but for storage I like my bear grease- beeswax, Ballistol for shorter term.