Author Topic: Ever had someone set off your "contrary" nature?  (Read 259 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Ever had someone set off your "contrary" nature?
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
You ever had someone's attitude set you off so bad you decided to do/buy something simply because they were against it?

On another forum (for model trains) I asked for opinions about which digital decoder to install in a locomotive I just acquired. Most of the people who replied were polite and gave their choices, and reasons. One guy, with a rep for being a jerk, gave his suggestions, then proceeded to bash on another poster who suggested a decoder he disliked. The other poster tried to engage him in a simple conversation about the problems he had with the decoder. The jerk just kept getting more and more obnoxious. Each time someone said they'd used that decoder with no problems, he go to a new level of flip out.

I had looked at the decoder as a possibility. It was a little more money than I had considered spending. Now, though, just because of the jerk's attitude, I may buy one just so I can watch him melt down.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Ever had someone set off your "contrary" nature?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
Yeah, run into a few "keyboard kommandos" in my day.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
You ever had someone's attitude set you off so bad you decided to do/buy something simply because they were against it?

Just about every day.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
Hi Electric, no, I always think for myself. When I was younger I was more influenced by others. I'm now too old be influenced by others and choose to think for myself. Old has many advantages.  )l_ )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
Some guys are gay for their own opinions and would much rather “teach” everything to anyone than maybe, just maybe, learn something. Those types are often the most ill-informed.  See Narcissistic Personality Disorder DSM-5.   L@J
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:44:10 AM by G Dog »
Schlong NIKE, bigly...

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
All the time. Usually I can catch myself from spending money just to spite someone, but I have definitely ordered Coke instead of water b/c someone had to bring up their diet; etc.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
Yeah, in my younger years. Now, most of the time, I just consider the source. One reason I left the old ML forum after being one of the early members was because of a few know-it-all guys, that and some policy changes. I don't miss it, although I had made some good friends there. Now you guys have to put up with me L@J *6'