Author Topic: Colt 2nd Generation 2nd Dragoon Nipples & Caps  (Read 135 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
Colt 2nd Generation 2nd Dragoon Nipples & Caps
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:26 PM »
Hello everybody who owns one of these fine pistolas.  If you do, then you are no doubt aware of the L-O-N-G cones on the nipples.  Now, I know they were originally designed for a #12 cap, which are no longer being made.  I've been sorta getting by with RWS 1075's, which I believe are number 11's.  They in NO WAY fill that cone, but rather sit atop like a hat and must be pinched, squeezed and placed with a prayer with every loading.

A look at the offerings of nipple replacements on Track of the Wolf shows a number of nipple sizes, but one in particular is designated as for "some Colt brand Colt 1847 Walker and Dragoon models" and are specified to be .430" long cone" and "for #11 CCI Cap".  (There are other measurements given as well, such as base width, etc.)

To eyeball the picture, the nipple cone looks the same length as the Colt.  My question that follows, then, is that is the CCI #11 Cap a long cap?  I am completely unaware of them, only using the aforementioned RWS 1075's for my BP rifles and shotguns and Remington #10's for my Uberti Colt and Remington clone pistols.

I would think one would have to replace the original Cot nipples (which I would really rather not doing) with shorter coned nipples, but then TOW threw me a curve ball with their recommendation for the .430 long cone nipples.  I suppose I should extract one of the Colt nipples and measure the cone to see if it's longer than .430, and then my guesswork and assumptions would throw egg on my face.

In the meantime, I go back to the beginning; do any of you out there own a Colt 2nd Generation Dragoon or Walker where the elongated nipple cone has been a problem and, if so, how have you dealt with it?

Your help and contributions are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Best Regards - shooter13

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Colt 2nd Generation 2nd Dragoon Nipples & Caps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
Shooter13,   I don't have a 2nd gen Dragoon but if you haven't read this informative article before it may help you determine which cap/nipple combination to use on your Dragoon.
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=9093.msg62297#msg62297

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
Shooter13,   I don't have a 2nd gen Dragoon but if you haven't read this informative article before it may help you determine which cap/nipple combination to use on your Dragoon.
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=9093.msg62297#msg62297

What Mike said.

With that being said, Rem #10s work on my ASM 3rd Model Dragoon and Walker.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:34:04 PM »
Not a Colt but I use CCI #11's on my Uberti 3rd model. #10's are too small. You are correct a RWS 1075 is a #11 cap but different manufacturers have their own dimensions and often change from lot # to lot #.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »
 Yes, I have two Colt 2nd Gen 3rd Model Dragoon's. With the factory nipples neither of them worked with any caps I tried. The Track of The Wolf long cone nipples are the ones you want. I put those on mine and they work very well with Remington #10 caps. Remington #11 caps are ok too but they seem a tiny bit loose. I don't think I've ever had a Rem 11 come off under recoil but they are a tad bit looser than the Rem 10. I happen to have some CCI #11 and some RWS 1075. I have not shot my Dragoon's with them but I just put them on and they seem to fit well on the long cones too. CCI #10's do not fit the long cones, they are way too tight. Hope this helps.

PS - I have tried the short cone nipples too. They did not work on my 2nd Gen Dragoon. They were too short, such that the hammer would not contact the caps.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »
I am blessed to have quite a few 2nd Generation Colts. Most of them are cased and unfired but I have 2 1851 Navy's I shoot often. I have never had an issue with the nipples. Additionally I do not usually have an issue of a spent cap jamming the action. I usually use CCI caps as they have been readily available on the cartons of 1000.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
I have not heard of any other 2nd Gens having issues with the nipples, just the Dragoon's. For whatever reason the Dragoon's seem to have been produced with odd sized nipples, some require #9's and some require #12's. I don't think this was an issue in the 1970's but now those sizes are no longer available.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »
I don't know about #12's but they quit making #9's in 74 or 75.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
That's interesting. I think the 2nd Gen Dragoon's came out in '76. I've wondered when they stopped making #9's. A friend of mine had one or two thousand #9's a couple years ago. The same guy had a few hundred #12's about a year ago. In fact I got two tins of old Remington #10's from him a few days ago. They are made of much thicker metal than the current Remington #10's.