Author Topic: Pietta 1860 Old Silver  (Read 192 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pietta 1860 Old Silver
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
Hi, I recently took advantage of Cabelas $50 off and free shipping to purchase a Pietta 1860 Army Old Silver:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PIETTA-OLD-SILVER-CAL-BP-REVOLVER/2359035.uts?slotId=4

The revolver arrived today and I must admit it is beautiful, all that highly polished steel. Other than one exception the revolver is perfect, timing, fit and finish. However, I suspect that the front sight was staked in backwards. That may not be much of a problem in that I will probably install a dovetail front sight so poi=poa with .45 Colt in conversion cylinders. I have an 1860 Howell stainless steel .45 Colt conversion cylinder that should look good on this shiny gun.

The new Pietta 1860 Army Old Silver:

This revolver will get an action job, reduced power spring, and a new front sight. This revolver may just be too pretty to shoot? Not!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Pietta 1860 Old Silver
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:57 PM »
Congratulations on the new one.  I've lost track on the count of your repros but it must be close to fifty by now.  The more one has - the bigger the party. That's axiomatic.   Your latest looks pretty shiny and down to the white.  I have never examined an "old silver" mod but was expecting something with a little more gray to it. Do those show any gray patina tone or remnant of partial blue? 

If you were not going to use a conversion cylinder on that Army would you still replace the stock main spring for something lighter?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
Hi G Dog, the old silver looks like the gun was chromed. Pietta also sells some of their revolvers with an "old west" finish that is dull looking aged.

If I was just going to limit the revolver to C&B I would leave in the original spring. The reduced power spring in Colts with a reduced power spring sometimes has cap ignition failures.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
Gorgeous pistol......
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1860 Army Old Silver was torn down and slicked up. A reduced power spring was installed. As with all Pietta 1860s the hand had to be shortened a little to allow the bolt to drop before the conversion cylinder rotates. Uberti's don't seem to have that issue. The timing with both the conversion cylinder and C&B cylinder is very good. The cylinder to barrel gap with the wedge hammered in hard is 0.003".

I thought I had a stainless steel .45 Colt conversion cylinder to use with this revolver. Unfortunately that cylinder is for the Uberti 1860. Since I already have two blued .45 Colt conversion cylinders, getting another in stainless seems economically wasteful. This is the Old Silver with .45 Colt conversion cylinder:

I will shoot the revolver with the original sight to see where it prints before doing the dovetail front sight.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
Fine looking 60 Richard. Would like to have that finish myself.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »
Hi, I shot the Old Silver with .45 Colt today. The revolver grouped well at 25yds, but shot ~10" high. There were no other shooting issues with this revolver. I will put a tall dovetail front sight on this revolver on the next rainy day. I like using the nice days for blasting steel.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
Nice looking gun, congrats.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:04 AM »
Hi, why wait for a rainy day to put on a dovetail sight when it only takes ~1/2 hour. This is the Old Silver with dovetail front sight:

The front sight will be filed down to have poi=poa @25yds using .45 Colt.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:04:01 AM »
Hi, the 1860 Old Silver was sighted in today using .45 Colt and creating a poi=poa @25yds. The revolver after sighting in:

This Old Silver 1860 is an accurate revolver that groups very well.

This photo was taken with my new iphone SE. Both my wife and I have moved into the 21st century and we both own iphone SEs. The only cell phone we owned before was an old flip phone. I must admit to missing being in a crowd where everyone is standing looking at their smartphones and I flip out my own flip phone. They look at me as if I was a dinosaur, I loved it.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
Looks real good, Richard. I still don't have a smartphone. I have an old Blackberry style, I guess it's in between a flip phone and a smartphone.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »

I thought I had a stainless steel .45 Colt conversion cylinder to use with this revolver. Unfortunately that cylinder is for the Uberti 1860. Since I already have two blued .45 Colt conversion cylinders, getting another in stainless seems economically wasteful. This is the Old Silver with .45 Colt conversion cylinder:

Regards,
Richard

No doubt you will load your 45 Colt ammo with black powder................
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning