Author Topic: Identifying a 1995 1860 Army  (Read 318 times)

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
Identifying a 1995 1860 Army
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Hey Guys, this cap and ball thing is addicting!  Just got out of storage the first cap and ball I ever purchased - an 1860 Army I bought at a gun show ten years ago, used but unfired.  At the time I was told it was a Uberti - but all I can find are the Italian proofs - no makers mark visible.  And I would like to know who made it if I need parts, etc.

The gun is an 1860 Army, cut for shoulder stock with the fourth screw, with a steel grip frame and a silver plated trigger guard.  Left side of grip has the US Army inspectors cartouche. On the right side of the barrel above the loading lever is says "SM Black Powder Only CAL. 44 Made in Italy".  Date code is BF/1995, serial number is E346xx.    Well made.  Any of you recognize this combination of features?
CC

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
Re: Identifying a 1995 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
Sir, pictures please! The "SM" seems peculiar to me unless it is a mis-stamped ASM (Armi San Marco) pistol.

If it is an Uberti with that date code, it should have the Uberti octagonal muzzle end with a U in the bore left-side frame stamp, or a marking on the barrel underside hidden by the load-lever.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:21:55 PM by sourdough »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »
ASM. They look good but the quality of the internals was spotty. Some were good, some not so good.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:44 PM »
I'd lean towards ASM also, but pics would be best.  Pretty sure I have seem some marked as SM on the barrel.   

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
Only marking under the loading lever is the single numeral "8".  No marks on either side of the frame.  Looks like it's time to take the grip frame off and look under it to see if it is marked there.  All visible marks are just proof marks - no known maker's mark.  Serial Number seems pretty high.

I'll let you know when I get it apart - and maybe pictures, too.
CC

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
Well, took the grip frame off - and still, no Company markings!  I don't think it is an ASM because why would they only print "SM" on the "Black Powder Only" Legend under the barrel?  It's a pretty gun, not deluxe but good fake case color and everything fits well. Very heavy mainspring, though.  My 3rd Dragoon Uberti is MUCH easier to cock.  The hammer is slotted for safety pins on the back of the cylinder, but there are none there.  And how many companies duplicated the US Ordnance cartouche on the left hand stock?

The wedge did not want to come out - I assume I will need a brass or nylon drift to push the spring down and drive it out from the right side.  The gun appears to have been proofed (black powder residue under the grip frame) - but still has preservative in the chambers.  So, unfired, so far.   

When I get the camera thing figured out I will post pictures.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
Armi San Marco used:  "Armi San Marco", San Marco", "Marco", "ASM", "SM", and an "SM within an A"  Your 1860 is an Armi San Marco.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
^^^^
What Finger's said. 

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
Thanks, Guys!  The mystery is over.  Well, it's not a top or valuable brand - so I'll guess I will shoot it!   I really appreciate the input - probably not a model to spend any money on!  CC 

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
There were a lot of good revolvers made by ASM.   They also made some poor quality ones.  I think they developed a reputation for poor quality based on the bad ones and the well made ones were over looked by a lot of people.    I have a Walker, a 2nd Dragoon an 1860 Army and had an 1858 Remington that are all very nice revolvers.   I shoot them all.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
ASMs from early 90s and earlier are usually very good.  I have a 3rd model dragoon from 1977 that is excellent, and a nickel plated Walker from 1979 that is also very good.  I've had other ASMs that were good; but have not had many from the 90s.  ASMs quality started going down around the time between the 2nd Gen and Sig Series Colts were made.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
Good info Fingers. I'll try to remember that.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Good info Fingers. I'll try to remember that.

Is it only coincidental that ASM went out of business in 2002 - same time Colt's dropped the Sig Series line ???/ hmmmmmm