Author Topic: So Close, So Far.......  (Read 251 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
So Close, So Far.......
« on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »
Was on a vacation a few miles north in Maine last week.  On the way up we stopped at the Kittery Trading Post, always a favorite spot to drool.

Spotted a Uberti Colt Open Top .45 Colt on sale for $489.  I was all set to buy it, even though I knew I'd have to wait and have it shipped back to a recognized gun shop back in my home state of Massachusetts.  Just as the clerk was getting the paperwork out another older gent behind the counter stepped in and kindly informed me that the sale couldn't happen.

Why?  Because that particular gun was not on "The List".  That is, it is not a recognized firearm by the state of Massachusetts, and so it could not be sold there.  AAARRGGGHHH!

We went back and forth about the ludicrous laws of my state and my first time I experienced that evil LIST around 5 years ago when it came into being.  I won't bore you guys yacking about it now, but trust me, it's as stupid as it sounds.

Anyway, I was crestfallen. I've longed for one of these guns for quite awhile and to have one in my hands and then slipped through was just sad. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:45:06 AM by shooter13 »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: So Close, So Far.......
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
That sure sucks.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
Hi shooter, sorry to hear about your gun buying issue. You could move to New York or California?  )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
Such a situation would indeed be frustrating. I am lucky so far in that I do not have to deal with such differing rules with the States that boarder mine.

Bide your time shooter13, and hopefully before too long, you will acquire an open top cartridge revolver. They are fine pieces to own and shoot.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:50:00 PM by scooby »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »

Spotted a Uberti Colt Open Top .45 Colt on sale for $489. 

crestfallen.

First - We feel for ya.  Was it a .44 Walker, a .44 Dragoon, a .44 Army, a conversion?  New, used?  That's not exactly a bargain basement fire-sale price, anyway.  You may have suffered a blessing in disguise.   

You could move to New York or California?  )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

Yea, move to Cali. We have these brown trucks here that drive around and deliver C&B guns straight to your front door.  There are a few downsides to living here (I won't elaborate) but for percussion revolvers and cap lock long guns it's a Free State.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:34:55 PM by G Dog »
Schlong NIKE, bigly...

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Hey G dog,   I think Shooter13 was attempting to purchase one of these....  https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1872-open-top-late-model/
Cimarron sells them for around $550.   They are cartridge guns and subject to modern firearm laws.

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
mike116 hit the nail right on the head. It was brand spankin' new and just as gorgeous as you want a pre-tricked out gun to be.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:13:58 AM »
Life is hard on the good guys
Sign on the dotted line
and work for the benefit of others