Author Topic: A good way to load percussion revolvers.  (Read 127 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
A good way to load percussion revolvers.
« on: July 20, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
Since it's been slow of late I thought I would share a new to me loading technique. It's pretty simple actually. You just find the charge at which when the loading lever is fully depressed you get a moderately compressed charge. By "fully depressed" I mean the loading lever is able to go down the same as if the cylinder were empty. So you are putting enough powder in that there is no airspace but not so much powder that the mechanical motion of the loading lever is impeded. In this way each chamber receives the exact same amount of compression.

Before I give some examples I must say that with each gun and each powder measure it may be different, since individual guns may have different sized cylinder chambers and individual powder measures may throw different amounts. The following charges are just what has worked in my guns with my powder measure. You will have to experiment to find the charge that is appropriate with your gun and your measure. In case any newbies are reading just remember, never leave an airspace between the powder and the ball, as that could blow up the gun and hurt you.

With my Armi San Marco Walker the charge I use is 45 grains of Swiss 2F plus a .457" round ball. With this charge I got consistent 2" groups at 15 yards.

With my Uberti 1860 Army I used 30 grains of Goex 3F plus a .457 round ball. I actually only measured one group because it was so good I didn't feel the need to shoot any more paper and went right to the steel targets. The group was 5 shots in 1 1/4" plus 1 flyer that hit about 1" above the main group. The flyer was my fault because my eyes got blurry and I foolishly took the shot anyways.