Author Topic: Uberti 1851 Navy blade sight install.  (Read 200 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Uberti 1851 Navy blade sight install.
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
I am thinking of dovetailing in a brass blade front sight on my Uberti 1851 Navy. I have the dovetail cutting guide so it shouldn't be too hard. My main question is about how to remove and reinstall the loading lever stud on the underside of the barrel. Does it matter which direction I drift it out?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Uberti 1851 Navy blade sight install.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:53:39 AM »
Hi Lonesome, the dovetail standard is left to right for removal, right to left for insertion. That is looking from the breach to the muzzle. That's somewhat standard, but the Italians sometimes do things differently. It only takes a couple of blows with a brass drift to know if your removal direction is correct. Worst case is that you go the wrong way and loosen the dovetail fit. A little loctite on reassembly cures that potential issue.

I put all my BP revolver dovetail front sights on right to left.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
With a good calipers, it should be possible to find out which side is wider and vice vers ???

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
I finally did the dovetail sight. The stud was fairly easy to drift out as I could kinda see which way it was supposed to go. The jig was a little tricky since it required shims as I did not want to go as deep as the jig provides. I could not get the bead front sight out so I ended up just filing it down with the rest of the metal. One thing I do have to say is use some good files. I had some decent diamond files but diamond files will cut the jig so I didn't use them until the very end, just to clean up the notch. The wood files I had to use were terrible and it took literally hours to cut the notch. I also completely reshaped the brass Track of The Wolf sight. The sight was originally a rifle sight which I shaped down to a small square like I have seen on some originals.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
OK Lonesome P, maybe time for a picture of that sight?

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
Len, I still haven't got a photo hosting site since photobucket changed. I will try to get on that soon, I just have an aversion to learning new things on the computer. I have a lot of photos I need to post.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 09:55:49 AM »
Hi Lonesome P,
know what you mean, but I force myself to use my own computer as a storage. I wouldn't trust any of those cloud things. Suddenly they can just rip you off your own possesions.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
Ok here it is. Not too proud of the scratches but I love the way it shoots now.