Author Topic: Got Some Fires In my Parts  (Read 330 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Got Some Fires In my Parts
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:57:44 PM »
Hot and dry conditions have set these parts of my roaming grounds into prime fire conditions. Got a new one raising hell down near the town of Lewiston. Another one along the Snake River took off yesterday and is burning up some of my Mule Deer hunting country.  The one out of Riggins is still going and has been doing so for the past few weeks. The one down in sltm1's country cooked off a lot of ground. It hit 107 in Boise today and was 105 at 4pm when I left there to travel home tonight. When I arrived close to home, it was 93 in Lewiston and it is currently 89 degrees here on the homestead tonight at 11:30 pm. I have not checked on the relative humidity levels, but got a good idea of what they are during the day. If we get any lightning storms over the next week, this country is going to turn into a blaze. It has been triple didget temps for a straight week in some areas and hit a high of 110 degrees here at home. There is one hell of a fuel load on the ridges and draws around me that will not provide direct attract from ground crews if it starts up this close. As always, I have my ground well mitigated and will stay put and defend my home, structures, and trees. At daylight, I am going to continue constructing my new blacksmith shop until the heat forces me to seek reprieve. I now wish I had not lost the last two days to attend training for my job on Boise. I could have got a lot more work completed had I been here on the place. But be what it may, it is just weather and the hardy will persevere no matter what comes this way. I just hope folks don't looses their homes like they did a couple years ago. The forcast calls for no let up of the hot conditions for the following week.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:42:21 AM by scooby »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Got Some Fires In my Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »
I've been watching those fires closely. My family is from the Lewiston, Grangeville, Cottonwood area. Really sad to see this. Lots of prayers and well-wishes headed your way.
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
Hi scooby, I hope those fires stay very far away from you. People losing their homes because of the fires must be devastating. Those setting the fires should be strung up by their nuts.  J*j

Like Mick, my prayers and well wishes are with you.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
I feel ya on the fires. It's been pretty wet here, but when it dries out, we could get some bad fires. And I live less than five miles from where the Granite Mountain Hotshots died.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
We're getting some of that smoke down here in the valley, looked like low cloud cover or fog yesterday. Plus we have some blazing down this-a-way also.

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Damn that's not good, stay safe Scoob

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »
You be careful, Steve. Bail out if you need to. That's what insurance is for.
How is Speer/CCI weathering the storm?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
CCI is fine, as it the town. The fire was on the outskirts and they now have it taken care of. We got a break in the weather on Sunday with a cool front that moved in. Then it is supposed to warm back up this week. However, after that, early fall temps will start to set in and all will be good.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »
Well here we are in beautiful Weiser Idaho....the mountain in the back round is under 2 miles away, and we don't have any lingering local fires !!!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
It moved in up this way yesterday. It is even worse today.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »
Looks just like that here in Colorado.  Been this way most of the summer.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
Have things gotten any better out there? We had very heavy rains here for 3 weeks, caused lots of flooding, bridge and road washouts. Luckily, we are high and dry, but lots of folks in the towns around lost most, if not all, of their belongings. Technically, they were probably on a flood plain, but most don't buy flood insurance. Who would have thought we would have two 100 year floods in 2 weeks? Some of the schools are starting tomorrow, starting late because they were either flooded or students did not have access to them because of washed out roads.