Author Topic: Dead eye has a screw loose  (Read 80 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Dead eye has a screw loose
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:40:36 AM »
Hi, Dead eye screws up a trigger/bolt spring screw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvaHhCY1pFA

This brings up the issue if a soft or hardened screw is best for our replica revolvers. I would rather have a screw strip than have the tapped hole thread strip. I will never use hardened screws in my replica revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: Dead eye has a screw loose
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
  It sounds like the Duke might have had a problem with the original screw being improperly machined on it's threaded section. Most folks have trouble with buggering up the screwdriver slot on soft screws rather than stripping the threads. Of course this can be avoided by using a proper fitting screwdriver and a little expertise by the operator.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
I have to agree with Yolla!! But if screwing a screw in taxes your abilities,  I can see why folks are scared to death of even taking a S.A. apart.  Not to mention, if shortening a screw is too much work and keeps you from replacing a soft screw with a  (possibly) better screw,  there's two red flags already! And further more, if you check a possibly too long screw by installing a cylinder to see if it scratches the cylinder,   .  .  .  .  .  .  .   HOLY COW!!!!!

I can here it now, "sorry Bill, I scratched your cylinder checking the length of a new combination spring screw!! Sorry!!!"  Oh, no worries, I turned the cyl enough so there's no contact any more!!  You're good to go!!".  (7&   Problem solved!! Want me to adjust your timing while I've got it?!!    Question, why didn't he just shorten it to be just shy of the frame?   (l"

I harden the screws on all the revolvers I work on (except the stainless steel those I clean up and put a brushed or polished finish on) just like all the "real" revolvers that these are copies of!!!  The originals were hardened and in less quality frames than what we have, why would you want to go backwards?! 
  The truth is, they are batch hardened (just like I do) but it's a huge batch, so the majority (in the middle) of the batch never reach an appropriate temp.  Then they are quinched, cleaned and blued (the majority still soft).  Of course, if they did it "correctly", it would cost time and nobody wants to pay more so, just as always, you get what you pay for .  .  . 

Just my opinion but soft screws suck!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:34:01 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
I also like hardened screws, and they don't need to be over-tightened. I especially like the hammer, trigger and loading lever screws to be hardened. These are the ones that are the axles that are used every shot.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
I use anti-seize on all my screw threads on reassembly. Makes removing them a non-issue.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"